Old Sherwood Brut and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an old Sherwood Brut reg setup, that I recently had cleaned, serviced and inspected by my LDS (NOT O2 cleaned mind you).

That being said, I spent $150 bucks, before really thinking about it, getting these regulators, serviced, batteries changed in the old Sherwood Source computer, etc. and right now I'm not ready to buy new regs, and want to get some of the money I've sunk into these out of em' first.

My LDS let me use them in the pool for my nitrox course pool session (40%). Since I had them cleaned by them, and I had only used their air (up to ANDI standards?), with them to that point.

On my checkout OW/Nitrox dives, they would not let me use them, and made me use O2 cleaned rental regs.

I want to dive Nitrox (32%), primarily because my SAC rate is greatly improved over air and I feel better after a dive. Is this a No No, with my Brut setup, or is my LDS just being overly cautious, maybe because I was a student and/or insurance purposes more than likely dictate some of their policies?

Thanks

The only thing that really needs to be O2 cleaned is your tanks, and even then only if they are using the partial fill method. That is, fill with a given amount of O2 and top off with air to get your mix %.

Regs, etc are fine if not cleaned for O2, on mixes less than 40%.

Think about it. If this were an issue, why didn't they make you use an O2 clean BC?

Hey - O2 clean bc's. This sounds like a potentially lucrative dive biz revenue stream.

shark.byte.usa:
On my checkout OW/Nitrox dives, they would not let me use them, and made me use O2 cleaned rental regs.

I want to dive Nitrox (32%), primarily because my SAC rate is greatly improved over air and I feel better after a dive. Is this a No No, with my Brut setup, or is my LDS just being overly cautious, maybe because I was a student and/or insurance purposes more than likely dictate some of their policies?

Thanks

Actually your SAC rate will not really change on Nitrox. Your respiration is not based on the amount of O2 in your system, but on the amount of CO2 build up. Some studies have shown perhaps a 2-5% increase in bottom time... but even those numbers are suspect.

There is a greater chance you just got nicely "tuned in" on those dives... relaxed, comfortable, good in-water attitude, etc.

As far as saying you can't use your regs... there is no insurance reason, doesn't matter if you're a student... The myths about having to use clean regs for recreational nitrox are just a license to steal in this industry. It's sad... but operators who further this myth are either clueless, or trying to make a buck by spreading false information.

I was recently a guest speaker at a DAN medical conference, and they have yet to find ever - not one case of any problem with any equipment when the mix is below 40%. So I'd tell you - your regs are fine - and don't ever bother pay extra for any "cleaning" of them in the future. Normally the only thing cleaned is a wallet. Just your standard maintenance and you are fine.

sharpenu:
The only thing that really needs to be O2 cleaned is your tanks, and even then only if they are using the partial fill method. That is, fill with a given amount of O2 and top off with air to get your mix %.

Regs, etc are fine if not cleaned for O2, on mixes less than 40%.

Think about it. If this were an issue, why didn't they make you use an O2 clean BC?
Now that his question has been answered, I think that you had better review the conditions of nitrox and high concentration oxygen before you give advice.

You can use a regular BC on 100% O2. It doesn't make a difference.

Everyone thanks for the response, it's kindof what I figured, but wanted to make sure. It's really a shame I can't believe a word that comes out of my LDS mouth. Some of the stories they spin are just so over the top, they can't really expect people to believe them. I won't even get into em. If you took their word for it, if you dived Nitrox on anything other than a Scubapro regulator, your an accident waiting to happen.

Oh, Larry? (scubatoys), my SAC is improved for whatever reason(s). Only alot more diving will really tell the tale, but that's what I've experienced thus far. I respect what your saying, and when I'm ready for new regs. I know where I'm going.

rescuediver009:
Now that his question has been answered, I think that you had better review the conditions of nitrox and high concentration oxygen before you give advice.

You can use a regular BC on 100% O2. It doesn't make a difference.

What are you talking about? How was there anything incorrect in my statement? I never said you COULDN'T use a BC with HBO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom