Old pontoon boat into diving boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an 18' pontoon that leaves a pretty much 8'x16' open area, we can dive 4 off of it, but it sets low in the water when outfitted. The 22' deck boat dives 4 very comfortably and a fifth with little restriction. I am building a 21' deck boat into a diving and fishing vessel, like an I/O bass boat with a full windshield for the rough days in KS. The more storage the better, while the more open area the better as well. We setup the gear put it in the water and then don it, just works better with these boats (wife once caught the swinging door on the deck boat with a fin on a back roll, was slightly upset by the time she got loose!). As we age, I am sure a small winch will be added to load the gear as well. The biggest deepest ladder you can put on will never be a regret as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any pictures of a pontoon dive boat? I'm eyeing an older cheap pontoon boat for that reason as well.

I have a 24' pontoon that I set up for diving and pleasure. First off is the boarding ladder, I used half of a 6' fiberglass ladder I had. It pivots on aluminum brackets that are screwed to the aluminum rub rails around the platform. Under way the ladder is out of the water and tied securely at the side gate. It's no problem coming up it in twins and it won't rust. Next, the dive flag is on a 10' stick of 1/2" EMT. Light, inexpensive and it goes on the handrail. Electronics, an absolute must when you run the St. Lawrence, for peace of mind. As for seating and storage of gear, the usual pontoon seats that are on the boat will be replaced this year with wood benches and dry totes. Heavy gear and tanks wreak havoc on covered vinyl seats. A dry box for keys and cellphones is a must. I removed the front railing and extended the platform for an easy step off into the water. I also have numerous tether points for hooking to wreck buoys, safety ropes, shed gear or whatever. Another thing I kept is the Bimini top. When the sun is beating down between dives the shade is welcome when your in a black wetsuit! Power is a 50HP four stroke with a 12 gallon tank and of course the needed safety gear is on board. Think it out what you need and go at it!! Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom