Old and New Diver from North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WinfieldNC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,

I was originally certified in 1988 when I was 12 years old. I dove a lot with my father who was first certified in 1971. Almost all of our diving was off the NC coast. My father passed away when I was 19 and I stopped diving for a long time. We never really logged dives back then so I'm not sure how many dives we did.

In 2012 I retook the basic OW course and started diving a little here and there. Last year my girlfriend got certified and my diving has greatly increased since then. I'm looking forward to a busy diving year in 2017.

Merry Christmas!

win

As some one that was born 14 years before you I wouldn't call you old but I get your point.
For the record I rarely bother to keep an actual log of my dives other than what my computer records for me, seems like a waste of time to me since nobody else is really going to care where, when or what you dove.
Are you still diving off the North Carolina coast? Have you made any trips to warmer waters?

I am still doing most of my diving in NC. I did make it down to Marathon, FL last spring for a week. I am also planning to dive Blue Heron bridge for my first time this March/April. I have heard great things.

I am still doing most of my diving in NC. I did make it down to Marathon, FL last spring for a week. I am also planning to dive Blue Heron bridge for my first time this March/April. I have heard great things.
Don't forget the North Florida Springs, the water temperature will still be warmer than the NC coast.
If you come this way let me know and I'll show you some amazing underwater caverns and springs all within a short drive from Jacksonville, FL.

Thanks for the invitation. I might just do that. We did dive Devil's Den and Blue Grotto for my girlfriends certification in March 2016. I would like to check out some of the other spots in North FL too. Definitely warmer than NC for the winter and spring and still a drivable distance.

Hey the NC Coast water gets pretty warm during late summer and early fall.

Welcome. As a fellow NC diver, I get pretty jealous of the FL divers this time of year

Welcome. As a fellow NC diver, I get pretty jealous of the FL divers this time of year
Yeah, the winter can seem like a long time. I'm considering jumping in Fantasy lake on New Year's Day. It's going to be pretty chilly for people like me that don't have a dry suit.

Yeah, the winter can seem like a long time. I'm considering jumping in Fantasy lake on New Year's Day. It's going to be pretty chilly for people like me that don't have a dry suit.

Hope you have a 7mm or a semi dry, or that's going to be a short dive :wink:

7mm with some sort of hood should be ok. Haven't decided on whether I will dive New Years or not. Depends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom