Old 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crdiver2

Reaction score
Does anyone still make an isolation manifold for these. I was told that they are a different size neck than the new 72's (short and fat)

Thank You!

It depends. Most 72s I've come across are 3/4" necks. You can use a standard manifold with those, although you have to be careful to make sure the bands work with the manifold.

Others are 1/2" necks. You can usually tell those by sight because there will be teflon tape on the threads, or there will be no "lip" for the o-ring. All of my 72s are 3/4".

There are plenty of manifolds for 1/2"(I have one in the garage, along with 1" bushings for larger tanks), but I haven't seen an isolation model.
Another note: I know of several lds's that won't fill or inspect 1/2" tanks. If you do end up with 1/2", don't let them talk you into trashing them. Most good hydro places will inspect them with no problem. If you can't find a place to get them inspected, you can always sell them off to vintage style divers.

The threads are a standard size, 3/4 straight, unless you find some old 1/2 pipe thread tanks. A standard manifold and including an isolation type or even DIN should work. The thing is bands, the tanks are 6.9 inch diameter so custom bands may be needed to align with the manifold. So, your problem if any is deciding what manifold you want to use and what range of adjustment-center to center-- it allows and then have bands made. Modern isolation manifolds may be wider than the standard manifolds of the past. This is why you may need a custom set of bands. Steel 72 make a great set of LP tanks. During the 70s many caves were initially explored using these tanks. I used twin steel 72s during that time for exactly that. Often they were cave filled--lol---a good set of steel 72 should last a lifetime or two and I am sure you would enjoy using them. N

I was able to get bands for my old 72's off Ebay ... and "cave fills" from my lds :D

They are a really nice set of doubles.

btw - I am using a Halcyon manifold.

Victor makes excellent bands and very reasonably priced.
He made me my custom bands for the 72's and the Scubapro manifold.
His work is as good as the Highland bands.
Check him out on eBay and drop him a mail. He's a pleasure to deal with.

I highly recommend Victor as well. His work is superb and cost effective and he is a nice person to work with. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom