Olá (Hello)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi from Portugal. I had been registered here for a while but I lost this site's url when my computer crashed once. Now that I´m back feel free to ask anything about our wonderful waters :) and because this is such a huge forum, it's possible that some of you are portuguese so speak to me privately if you want to hear so some news about what's happening in "our little piece of the web",

Best regards to you all.

Welcome back to the board RedShift! :)

Just one thing, careful how you write my nick :p

Hey Redshift,
Welcome back. Tell us a little about yourself, hobbies/interests, diving experiences etc. I'd love to hear about the diving in Portugal.

Welcome back! :D

Well, I´m an astronomy studdent, and I love water. Started swiming with 4 yo, I now play water-polo, I'm a lifeguard and, off course, a diver :)

About diving in Portugal, you have one of the best places ir the world wich is the archipelago of Azores. Another one is the aechipelago of Madeira. Jaques Cousteau once said that the only place where he had ever felt vertigo while diving was in Porto Santo, one of the islands os Madeira. In the continent there are good places like Sagres (south) Sesimbra, Berlengas (small islands)... In the north the visibility is awful but when it is acceptable it´s possible to dive in some small wrecks including an u-boat.

We're glad to have you on board. You'll discover it's a very diverse crowd of folks from all over the world - brought together by one passion :)

Looking forward to your contributions ...welcome!

greetings from philly ! i'm new to the board, postings-wise,but i've
been reading it for a while.i've gleened a lot of good info from the site and now maybe i'll be able to contribute.i'm going to do a blackbeard cruise on 5/24/03.anyone with info about going that time of year?(i.e. weather, water temp. partying in bimini ect) i like to dive the wrecks off of jersey and shark river inlet.lets hear more from the jersey divers !

Welcome back to the board. I was wondering if your "handle" of Redshift had something to do with astronomy. I seem to remember the hydrogen alpha shift from my college days (unfortunately, much too long ago). Anyway, welcome back and enjoy the board.

It certainly has! What course did you take? Redshift is occurs when a light source is moving away from us. The light doesn't behave like a normal object. If you are going in a car at 100 Km/h and you fire a bullet that leaves de gun at 50 km/h, it's speed towards a person in the street is 100-50=50 km/h. But the speed of the light coming from the lights of the car is still 3E8 m/s (sorry about the different units). What happens is that the wavelength increases and so, the light becomes more red. I know the lights on the back of a car are already red, but trust me :) Off course you don't notice that whith your eyes. But like you mentioned it's easy to notice in spectral lines and it's one way to determine the distance of that object since further objects move faster away form us. If the source is moving towards us what happens is a blueshift. Sorry about the english, I hoppe at least some of you can understand this :) By the way 3E8 means a 3 whith 8 zeros

Back
Top Bottom