Okoboji Diving: June 12-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrew.clisbee

Registered
Reaction score
I will be at Okoboji June 12-15 and am looking for someone to dive with. I am pretty familiar with the lake, but have never gone diving there. I will be doing some underwater metal detecting around the family dock, but would like to see some other sites if I can find a buddy.

I'm up for shore dives or boat dives - I have a boat if you have dive flags/etc (not sure what the IA dive regulations are). I plan on attending the Blue Water Divers' Wednesday 'Hump Day Fun Dive' and Thursday 'Ecology Dive'. Open for any other dive opportunities.

Would also appreciate any other tips/info/conditions/anything you know.

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy,

Regretfully I'll just miss you! I'll be up there this weekend, but I'll be busy Sunday on the last of my advanced open water dives. My dad will be doing his open water cert dives sometime next week with BW Divers, so say hi to the blonde old man doing his cert dives if you see him! His name is Brian.

Enjoy the lake, it shouldn't be too busy with boats yet, just damn cold under thermocline. If you've never done Okoboji, you've got to do the Milford Tower, maybe the tracks, the pipelines off the New Inn, and maybe one of the wrecks (I've never seen the truck, you should check it out!). BW Divers will be able to help you locate all of them.

Have a Boji good time!

Chris

Wish I could join you. My family has a house on West Okoboji near Pikes Point. Usually when I'm there in mid to late summer the viz is crap but it's fun anyway. Blue Water Divers are fun to dive with.

The tower is shallow but holds lots of fish. And the pipeline does as well. Last time I dove it we saw some huge walleye there.

Have a great time and say hi to my parents if you run into them. :) Oh yeah, eat a Nutty Bar for me at the park as well.

Thanks for the tips - sorry nobody will be there to join me.

Anyone know what the approximate temps are for say, 30-40 feet?

I know the lake is almost always freezing cold when swimming in June, but hopefully with my 7mm suit and hood, it will be semi-comfortable.

Are most of the OW/AOW cert classes done at Terrace Park? Our house is just a few houses towards Pocahontas Point from there on Brown's Bay and we usually see divers there on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

The offer still stands - anyone wanting to dive, let me know:

andrew.clisbee@genmills.com

And if anyone is ever visiting LA/Orange County, come out and join us - we dive every Sat & Sun: www.southcoastdivers.com

Andy

I should think you'll be plenty warm in a 7mm at that depth. I usually dive a 3mm or a 5/3 in July.

Not sure where they do the OW dives. I'd call Blue Water Divers. They are super nice and I'm sure they'll answer all of your questions.

I dove the pipe lines at the New Inn about a month ago. The water temp was 52 deg at 60 ft. If you do dive the pipelines there, there are three of them. Diving the middle one on the way back intoshore at about 15 ft of water you turn s/e about 20 yrds there is a nice rock pile that also holds a lot of fish to look at. I won't be able to meet you as work has to have it's say in my activities. You will be in good hands if you dive with Blue Water divers though they are just great people. Have fun!

Heya all,

Yeah, a lot of OW classes are done at Terrace Park (Green's Beach?). The vis is usually o.k. there and it's sandy enough that it keeps down a lot of the lake vegetation. It also drops off slowly and it would be difficult for a student to get into too much trouble at that site.

My advanced OW class did our deep dive at the pipe off the Inn and did our search and recovery dive at terrace park. The vis at the pipe was some of the best I've seen in West Lake! It would have been chilly at depth without a 7mm suit, hood, boots, and gloves, but it was quite cozy with all of those items on. If you dive the pipe make sure to take a light (which you should take at that depth in a lake anyway) and look for the crawfish under the pipeline. I saw one that looked as big as my fist on Sunday! Have fun diving this week Andy!

RF

Back
Top Bottom