Okinawa trip: april27-may2 -- Help, need guide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingkong954

Registered
Reaction score
As the topic says, we're going to Okinawa April 27th -> May 2nd.

I want to dive my brains out. But, we're having issues contacting Reef Encounters (haven't heard back), and are anxious to reserve our trips.

I am wanting to reserve our trips as necessary (got the CC right here!) so we need help in contact information for those guides who will take care of us and show us great reefs (whether it be Reef Encounters or any other great dive services). Also, extremely curious about cost (we don't even know where prices start!)

Diver background info:

Right now it is me and my gf (PADI OW). Based on cost, there may be as little as 1 additional person, and as many as 3 additional (~5 total).

Our goal is to dive shallow(er) reefs. We are brand new OW certified with only our 4 open-water cert. dives under our weight-belts. We are comfy with each other as buddies and hungry for experience.

We were hoping for 2-3 days of boat dives at the best reef locations nearby. We do not have our own equipment (save mask/fins/snorkel).

Thanks everyone for your help!

Anyone in the group active duty US military, retired US military, or a family member of one of those categories?

I ask because there are a number of US bases here on island, each of which have dive shops. Prices are really good on base (one place actually offers free nitrox now!).

If you have someone in one of those categories, you could stay on base for a very reasonable price and use the on-base dive shops.

iflylow:
Anyone in the group active duty US military, retired US military, or a family member of one of those categories?

I ask because there are a number of US bases here on island, each of which have dive shops. Prices are really good on base (one place actually offers free nitrox now!).

If you have someone in one of those categories, you could stay on base for a very reasonable price and use the on-base dive shops.

Actually; my GF's uncle was stationed there for a bit. How do we get to cash in on that benefit? What proof would she need?

Diving out in the Kerama islands is beautiful, and if you speak some Japanese you can get 2 boat dives for around $75, with a bit of lunch thrown in. With an English speaking guide it will cost a little more.

If Reef Encounters don't get back to you then you might want to try out the guys at Okinawa Ocean Divers (www.oodt.net). They're run by a cool guy called Otis and if you mention my username on here they may (or may not!) give you a good deal.

If you've any other questions about diving here then let me know. I'd love to guide you, but I'm teaching courses every day of Golden Week (the days you are here).

kingkong954:
Actually; my GF's uncle was stationed there for a bit. How do we get to cash in on that benefit? What proof would she need?

Sorry - they have to be active duty or immediate family (spouse, child, etc) to qualify. If her uncle is still active and has friends over here that might work too.

If you have some Japanese ability, you can get decent support from dive shops like SeaSir, Island Message, or others. If not, both of those companies have staff that speak passable English - if you are patient.

www.goatdawgs.com is a local message board here in Okinawa that has a lot of active duty military and family on it. There are folks who work all number of hours so that someone is almost always available to dive. Check it out to see if anyone is going to be available there. I'll be off island for a while then so I can't help out.

Thanks Dave! We've emailed OOD and hope to hear back soon.

Iflylow: Thanks for the link; We'll check it out and see what we can find.

Sorry we haven't got back to you but I can't seem to find an email from you, been out diving daily. You can contact me at 090-1940-3528 if you need information right away for reservations we have boats going daily along with shore dives.

japan-diver:
Sorry we haven't got back to you but I can't seem to find an email from you, been out diving daily. You can contact me at 090-1940-3528 if you need information right away for reservations we have boats going daily along with shore dives.

I just sent an email to bennett@ii-okinawa.ne.jp (from cmorales AT d3f DOT org) -- if that is not the right address, let me know.

Calling would cost me a bit, so for now I'd rather use email.

Hope to hear back soon!

I'll add Ark Dive on the Sunabe seawall into the mix. They really try to speak some English, and would sort you out with rental gear, no problems. They could also do you some deals on boat trips I think.

I'll let the guys at OOD know you've emailed so they can help to sort something out for you.

kingkong954:
I just sent an email to bennett@ii-okinawa.ne.jp (from cmorales AT d3f DOT org) -- if that is not the right address, let me know.

Calling would cost me a bit, so for now I'd rather use email.

Hope to hear back soon!

Got your email and PM's have sent replies and quotes to both. We also have you reserved with Kelly on the 1st, we can add any extra days as requested on the 2nd or earlier in the week.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom