Okinawa in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jl5619718

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for diving in Okinawa in February? What are the conditions, water temp, recommended dive sights? I'll have about 3 days of as much diving as I can do before my wife arrives for topside sightseeing.

Thanks

We are having a chilly winter - water temp is now about 22-23C and by Feb will probably be about 20C on the main island and Keramas. Boat diving in the Keramas is great that time of year as we see whales during that time- or if you can sneak off the Yonaguni for a few days that is the hammerhead season down there. When in Feb are you coming down? Where will you be staying?

Hi J-D,

I haven't decided where to stay yet and I'll be arriving around the 15th. I will be getting in at night and that means spending the next day to get to the Keramas. Is the diving on the Keramas worth the extra effort and lost time? I would also want an operation that would allow min 3 dives a day so I could get in enough dives before my wife shows up.

JL

We run day trips to the Keramas so no lost time in getting there- meet at the port at 0800 draw gear and go diving. 3 dives a day is the norm. I would suggest staying near Chatan as its near the best diving and near the ports for the Keramas boats.

We are having a chilly winter - water temp is now about 22-23C and by Feb will probably be about 20C on the main island and Keramas. Boat diving in the Keramas is great that time of year as we see whales during that time- or if you can sneak off the Yonaguni for a few days that is the hammerhead season down there. When in Feb are you coming down? Where will you be staying?

I have a BIG smile :D on my face as I read this....20C ??? Geez! When I was there diving in January '09 it dropped to 19C!! I had to put on a hodd & gloves!

Of course I just dove here yesterday, after 30 minutes, in my 7mm drysuit, full hood, dry gloves & thermal insulation I was cold! Man! It's like 8C water temp here. Warmer than the air!

I love Okinawa diving and am coming there by the end of '10 for a permanent move.

We have boats daily- this time of year we can get to the Keramas most days but not always due to wind/waves.

Thanks for the quick reply; is your dive shop close to Naha town? My hotel is the Comfort Hotel Naha, in town, so I would need directions, unless you do pick-ups for divers.

Back
Top Bottom