Okinawa Holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antics

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be visiting a friend in Ishigaki from mid May to mid June this year. Diving isn't the reason for this trip, but you know what its like, as soon as you go somewhere new you start trying to find out what diving you can do there! It seems I've been lucky and the diving could be pretty awesome.

So, I'd appreciate any and all information I can get on diving in the area. What dive sites should I try to reach, any good dive operators (my friend is a Japanese diver so language isn't a problem)? Is it worth hauling all my kit over there or is it reasonable to hire? What sort of wildlife will be in the water?

Also, I don't know much about the climate there. What sort of weather should I expect that time of year (sunblock or a rain hat)? What's the water temp, sea conditions, vis like?

I'll be based on Ishigaki, but I'd like to make a few trips to some of the other islands as I've plenty of time.

I could look all this up on the net, but I guess I'm too lazy and there's no substitute for the info you get from people who live there or who've been there.

Thanks, in advance.

Antics.

Take sun block and a rain hat :eyebrow:

Not sure about Okinawa but the rainy season on the mainlan (Tokyo) kicks in late May early June - but who knows this year. It was 21 degrees on Sunday and 9 degrees two days later on Tuesday here in Tokyo this week - bizarre man!

I'm on my first trip to Okinawa 12-16th May so can't help you out much yet

The diving in Ishigaki is outstanding. Bring your own kit if you have it rental in that area is very pricey and many times some pretty scary gear. Make sure you hit the Manta Scramble in Ishigaki (Sea Friends is a good shop down that way) If you get a chance to hit Iriomote the diving is great also or Yonaguni to see the ruins (SaWest best shop to go with down that way)

Sunblock and rain hat, that time of year it will either be pouring or baking hot usually within minutes of each other as we get into June it will just be hot. Water temp now 22C and climbing should be mid-high 20's by late May. Viz should be outstanding. Sealife will include mantas in Ishigaki, Iriomote - large (100kg) tuna and GT in Yonaguni.

It'll be just my luck to land right in the middle of the rainy season! :zap1:

Still, as long as it doesn't screw the vis up too much it'll do no harm. Looks like the weight of my bag just went up by 15Kg! (and I think I'll need more spending money!)Still, can't complain :D

I'll definitely be looking into a few days on each of the other islands. Did you say mantas!?! This could turn out to be quite a holiday. I'm slightly embaressed by my lack of knowledge about Japaese diving...

Antics:
It'll be just my luck to land right in the middle of the rainy season! :zap1:

Still, as long as it doesn't screw the vis up too much it'll do no harm.

Actually its the end of rainy season and June offically starts the typhoon season for the southern islands so if you are really lucky.... :wink:

Typhoons are quite rare that early in the season, we had one last year in June but it was small and only gave us a slightly extended surface interval about 48hrs before we could get back in.

I could cope with a little typhoon, I've got a four week holiday!

I reckon a 5mm wetsuit should be ok if the temp is mid 20s, I'm not a fan of the cold, but I'm not going to carry anything heavier. What are you diving in at the moment?

5mil will do just fine! A typhoon can mess up the water for a good bit of time!

Antics:
I could cope with a little typhoon, I've got a four week holiday!

I reckon a 5mm wetsuit should be ok if the temp is mid 20s, I'm not a fan of the cold, but I'm not going to carry anything heavier. What are you diving in at the moment?

Yonaguni has the best typhoon parties!! :dazzler1:

I'm diving a 5mm right now and thats fine, some of the hardier types are down to 3mm.

Typhoon parties?! Are they like a more wild version of a Thai style full moon party? :fro:

Yonaguni has the ruins, I've heard the currents can be pretty fierce around there? My friend's fairly small and she's not a strong swimmer, I'm not sure if it's a dive she'd want to make. I've not heard too much about them, but I'd love to see it for myself.

Did you say there'd be a good chance of catching mantas around Ishigaki? I wasn't sure if the time of year was right.

I'm definitely not the hardy type, I reach for my drysuit when it gets around 20°C. In fact I only use a 3mm for pool work now!

I like your website, still haven't found the time to look through all of it, but I will do.

Antics:
Typhoon parties?! Are they like a more wild version of a Thai style full moon party? :fro:

Yonaguni has the ruins, I've heard the currents can be pretty fierce around there? My friend's fairly small and she's not a strong swimmer, I'm not sure if it's a dive she'd want to make. I've not heard too much about them, but I'd love to see it for myself.

Did you say there'd be a good chance of catching mantas around Ishigaki? I wasn't sure if the time of year was right.

I'm definitely not the hardy type, I reach for my drysuit when it gets around 20°C. In fact I only use a 3mm for pool work now!

I like your website, still haven't found the time to look through all of it, but I will do.

Typhoon parties tend to be smaller than full moon parties but the idea is the same.

The mantas are in Ishigaki/Iriomote all year just you tend to see more during spring and fall times. So instead of 4-5 per dive you many be down to 1 or 2 or every other dive for one. ALthough you are comming at the end of the spring manta rush you may get lucky.

Yonaguni the currents can be high but everything is a drift dive so strong swimming is't necessary as you are going with it all the time. Good bouyancy control is a must, if she doesn't have that she might not be ready for Isseki but the Stage is sheltered and some find that point even more amazing.

The website is still under construction but its getting there. Thanks for compliments on our work so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom