OK...ya'll help me decide....pack it or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Between Beast and I, we have a truckload of camera gear to take on our Roatan trip. I'm most comfortable taking it as carry-on but Beast and I both are tired of being packmules. Usually I pack it all in a couple of backpacks, we have several. But I'm seriously considering packing it all in a large Pelican case this time.

We are on a non-stop flight from Houston to Roatan. My major concern is it actually getting on the plane in Houston, from checkin to loading it's at the mercy of the luggage monkeys. Once on the plane I'll see it come off on the tarmac in Roatan. The one time I packed camera gear in a Pelican going to Coz, pre-9/11, someone had tried to pry the locks off. And now that TSA is in control of locking the case, I'm not very confident in the whole system. Everything is insured but that won't help me take pictures those 2 weeks!

Am I being overly paranoid? I know lots of photographers check eveything with no problems, even with plane changes, but it'e the lost luggage stories that I keep remembering! Beast keeps telling me that they've tightened up security on luggage handling since then but I'm still nervous about it. But it would sure be nice to have only a small carry-on with some essentials.

So what would you do for a non-stop flight?

Carry on! I wouldn't risk it to those people. you chance on loosing it..having it stolen,etc. In MHO i would carry it on.

not so much a photographer, but a traveller, I will give you my insight.... Use it or lose it- your choice.

It has always been my experience that luggage get left on the tarmac, but once I have had my luggage leaving on the wrong plane... Now, if not having your camera would severely impair your enjoying your trip, bring it with you on the plane. Sure, it my be a couple extra pounds of weight on your shoulders, but a couple pounds of worry off your shoulders. Also, who knows what might happen. . . It's nice to always have your stuff in your own sight. So, I would carry it on with me.

Just my pennyworth.

What could you afford to lose, or rather what would you like your insurance to replace that is old and busted?

Computer, regs, and camera gear go on board, the rest is up to you. Fins, mask, wetsuits are all replaceable, BC's arent fun to lose, but not impossible to get around. I packed most of mine in a cross-country trip last year, only wetsuit and spares went in the case. It was a pain to carry, got the usual looks at security, but they are reasonable about it in the end and you get to keep an eye on it as well :wink:

I've taken to carrying on enough camera gear to get me going even if everything else is lost - which is the camera, housing, memory cards, tray and one strobe and charger. I pack the other strobe, spare cards, batteries, spare housing, etc with the rest of my gear. So even if something happens I should be able to get by,

There are a number of considerations. Got insurance??? A Pelican case is only good nowadays for impact. It brings special attention by the airlines....and theives.

I would consider a back pack camera case....and what ever it took to cover the rest.

Pelican cases had their day......but it is over with TSA and some airlines identifying them with extra weight and certain type of equipment. Not to mention the ;THIEVES associate a Pelican case with dive gear or camera gear yada yada.....

Do as much carry on as you can.......or as you can afford not to show up

rich

You guys are just backing up all my reasons why I've always carried my camera rig with me in a backpack. Being insured only covers the monetary part of the loss. No pictures isn't a price I'm willing to pay.

I agree about the Pelican....one thing that was bothering me about considering it is it just screams "I've got some stealable stuff in here".

Thanks Guys.

Ain;t the obvious.....such a female dog???? and do i need to explain that expression???????

LOL....no, I got that one! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom