ok to mate diffrenet brands for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys i have a poseidon extreme and i am going to be doing doubles soon. i dont wanna have to spend again for my 2nd set was wondering if i could use another brand for my setup, something more economically priced? thanks

Spoon:
guys i have a poseidon extreme and i am going to be doing doubles soon. i dont wanna have to spend again for my 2nd set was wondering if i could use another brand for my setup, something more economically priced? thanks

There is no problem with using a different reg when diving double. But the other reg should also be a good one.

Cheers

Al

Spoon:

Yep, lots of divers use different regulators on doubles.

While some divers do it just because they have two different brands or models of regulators, others do it with a specific intent. If you are diving in an environment that is particularly hostile like the extreme cold, then different freezing characteristics may have some advantages. Others will choose a backup regulator that may not breathe as well but is percieved to be considerably more likely to always work. Others use this as a method to prevent some inherent design flaw from causing both sets to fail.

Remember, with doubles you have two separate regulator sets, not one set with two second stages. The chief hazard I see comes from losing the interchangability that comes with having two of the same type.

Mark Vlahos

Hyper-limits:
There is no problem with using a different reg when diving double. But the other reg should also be a good one.

Cheers

Al

looking at 2nd hand conditined poseidon jetstream for only $ 200. think its worth it?

Mark Vlahos:
Yep, lots of divers use different regulators on doubles.

While some divers do it just because they have two different brands or models of regulators, others do it with a specific intent. If you are diving in an environment that is particularly hostile like the extreme cold, then different freezing characteristics may have some advantages. Others will choose a backup regulator that may not breathe as well but is percieved to be considerably more likely to always work. Others use this as a method to prevent some inherent design flaw from causing both sets to fail.

Remember, with doubles you have two separate regulator sets, not one set with two second stages. The chief hazard I see comes from losing the interchangability that comes with having two of the same type.

Mark Vlahos

my choices are: 2nd hand poseidon jetstream. brand new apeks ds4/atx50 or my girlfriends extra Atomics m1 with oceanic octo. the atomics tho doesnt have its original second stage anymore as she is using it as her octo in her apeks black pearl rig.

given a choice i wouldnt want to spend anymore and would love to use my girls atomics if thats possible?

off topic: im using an eclipse 30. no way to improvise this or modify this for doubles, dont want to have to spend and get an explorer wing?

Spoon:
Bring this up with your GUE fundi's instructor. He should give you good advice.

Spoon:
my choices are: 2nd hand poseidon jetstream. brand new apeks ds4/atx50 or my girlfriends extra Atomics m1 with oceanic octo. the atomics tho doesnt have its original second stage anymore as she is using it as her octo in her apeks black pearl rig.
QUOTE]

The apeks are always a good choice, I heard good thinks about the atomics but I never used one myself. I gather that you are putting all this gear together for your DIR-f , why not take the course with a single tank so you can talk to your instructor about gear that you will need in the future. Like that you will not have to spend on a new wing because the eclipse doesn't have enough lift for doubles.
Hey tell your girlfriend that you need her black pearl :wink:

Hyper-limits:
Spoon:
QUOTE]

The apeks are always a good choice, I heard good thinks about the atomics but I never used one myself. I gather that you are putting all this gear together for your DIR-f , why not take the course with a single tank so you can talk to your instructor about gear that you will need in the future. Like that you will not have to spend on a new wing because the eclipse doesn't have enough lift for doubles.
Hey tell your girlfriend that you need her black pearl :wink:

yeah il just ask my intructors advice. as for the eclipse thats what i figured.

as for my girls black pearl i actually got it for her in the hopes shed grow tired of it and go back to her atomics. she loves the black pearl so much that she doesnt even wanna try out my poseidon:) so much for my ulterior motives:)

Spoon:

given a choice i wouldnt want to spend anymore and would love to use my girls atomics if thats possible?

off topic: im using an eclipse 30. no way to improvise this or modify this for doubles, dont want to have to spend and get an explorer wing?

You will soon be taknig a DIR-F course. You are probably already aware that historically upstream designs for second stage regulators do not usually conform to DIR principals. Personally I do not have a problem with the Poseidon regs, but then I am not a GUE trained diver. This may or may not be a factor in your regulator selection. Your best bet has already been suggested, and you have indicated a willingness to do so, is to contact your instructor. Generally, for any diver who is considering doubles and / or any technical diving gear, speaking with an instructor who is familiar with the type of diving you will be doing is a really good idea.

Double tanks, double regulators, and all of the rest of the gear that is so specific to technical diving is just so expensive that you want to get it right the first time. You have mentioned your wing. If you want to dive with double tanks, you will need a wing that is appropriate for them. Technical rigs are quite a bit heavier in the water than a single tank rig, if you do not have enough lift you are in an immediately threatening situation that could have dire consequences. Don't fool around on this one, get a wing that can handle the weight and bulk of double cylinders.

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom