OK, I'm new to diving and am interested (m)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimsontide

Reaction score
in underwater photography.I have a quesiton about cameras. Can you use any camera for this as long as you have a housing for it? Are the disposables woth the money. I plan to get a quality camera in the future when funding is available, but for now what's best when considering these types of cameras.

CrimsonTide

I'm new to underwater photography too. I just bought a used camera from E-bay for $165. It is a Sea&Sea Motormarine, older model, it came with a strobe and close up lens and all kinds of nice little goodies. (now I just have to figure out how to work it!). This is what I have learned so far:

Look on E-bay!
Check out the Sea Life Reefmaster CL, it runs about $100 new and is good to 100ft. It is a camera with housing, but has options to add strobes, etc. later if you want. It is also fully automatic. A friend of mine has one and it took pretty good pics. at 60-70ft. I've seen a few on E-bay go for around $50-60.

You're going to spend about $15-$30 a pop for a disposable camera, that is only good to about 40 ft. at most. Housings, like the Reefmaster CL that I was talking about, run about $80-$200. An actual underwater camera can run about $200- on up. The strobes alone can cost at least $100 -on up, and you're going to need one to get good pictures past a certain depth (about 60 ft. I think). You have to decide which one will meet your needs best...but if you plan on being able to get good pictures, I'd pick a camera that allows you to add on strobes and close up lenses, etc.

Maybe this will help

I guess I won't waste my money on the disposable. Do they make housings for ordinary cameras? I am totally new to this so I make be asking a dumb question, but need to know. I have a digital, but don't know if it could be put in a housing for U/W use. Any ideas?

CrimsonTide

Unfortunately not all cameras have a housing available. Many of the current ones do, but the housing is more expensive than the camera in the majority of cases.
Disposable are a good way to get started in U/W photography, and can take the occaisional great photo. Many can go below 10' but the colour of the light available below that depth makes everything blue, and that's not really the idea.
The eBay recommendation is a decent one (if you know what yer lookin for) and as always it's always buyer beware. If you buy something old that "may need a new O-ring" you'd better check they're still made first.
Good luck.
I started with a cheap camera and now have thousands invested. The worst thing that can happen to your wallet is you take ONE good photo on your first roll underwater - it's easy to get hooked. But enjoy it - yer doing something most people only dream about.

Crimsontide once bubbled...
in underwater photography.I have a quesiton about cameras. Can you use any camera for this as long as you have a housing for it? Are the disposables woth the money. I plan to get a quality camera in the future when funding is available, but for now what's best when considering these types of cameras.

CrimsonTide

Technically...yes, you can. But all cameras do not have housings available and they all have various depth limits. Disposable underwater cameras were developed mostly for snorkelers so they aren't sturdy enough to take deeper than maybe 20ft.

You don't mention what your budget is or whether you're interested in film or digital. The cheap cameras are usually not the best way to go, even to get started and with plans to upgrade later. The old case of you get what you pay for.

A decent 3MP digital camera and housing can usully be had for around $700. I'd save my money, get a good set-up and not waste money and time on cheap substitutes.

Just my 2¢

Don't know if you've ever used E-bay, but just make sure that you ask LOTS of questions before you buy, and check the seller's feedback. I've not had any problems so far, and I'm happy with my camera, but there are some idiots out there...

I really don't have a budget set for this yet. I am probably looking to spend around 300 or 400 to begin with. Maybe a little less if possible. I'm just trying to get an idea as to what the options are. I will have to check on my digital that I have now, whether they make a housing for it and the cost. Again this is great info and so far these boards are the best.

This is a little off the subject, but I have noticed on some threads that they are able to pull portions of a previous thread. How do you do that?

Crimsontide once bubbled...
This is a little off the subject, but I have noticed on some threads that they are able to pull portions of a previous thread. How do you do that?

You mean like this? It's called a quote. Look in the lower righthand corner of any post you read and you'll see the 'quote' button. Click that and your message will have the quote at the top of the page. You can delete portions within the quote, just as I did with yours, as long as you leave the SB codes withing the [ ] brackets intact.

Dee once bubbled...

You mean like this? It's called a quote. Look in the lower righthand corner of any post you read and you'll see the 'quote' button. Click that and your message will have the quote at the top of the page. You can delete portions within the quote, just as I did with yours, as long as you leave the SB codes withing the [ ] brackets intact.

Hope this works.

CrimsonTide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom