Ok for a Deco Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pistons do handle better when taken off underwater and water entry into the first stage becomes a problem..The reg must be purged when charged after taking it off underwater. I have.... HEARD.. some say that they have taken a diaphram off to switch bottles and have had problems. I have switched out pistons with no trouble and just taken them apart after the dive and scrubbing them....JD

jaydee197:
pistons do handle better when taken off underwater and water entry into the first stage becomes a problem..The reg must be purged when charged after taking it off underwater. I have.... HEARD.. some say that they have taken a diaphram off to switch bottles and have had problems. I have switched out pistons with no trouble and just taken them apart after the dive and scrubbing them....JD
What makes piston regs less succeptable to salt deposits than diaphram?

wedivebc:
What makes piston regs less succeptable to salt deposits than diaphram?

i dont know..i know my pistons work fine when taken off and switched...and agsin I have HEARD that some people have had problems doing that with diaphrm style regs...JD

wedivebc:
So would you NOT service a piston reg after exposing the HP seat and piston to salt water?

Mempilot may not, but I defintely would.

A piston reg, balanced or otherwise will have the piston off the seat when the reg is not pressurized and water can and will enter. Once it is in there, there is no sure way of getting it all out even with balanced "flow through" piston first stage. You might get it all out, but you would never know for sure and may have issues with salt deposits even if you did dry it out.

With an unbalanced "flow by" piston first stage. You will end up with a couple drops of water going up through the small bleed hole in the piston stem and up into the compression chamber. Once the water is there, it is very persistent and almost impossible to get out without disassembling the reg.

DA Aquamaster:
Mempilot may not, but I defintely would.
Yep means I would. The only difference is that inspecting the piston reg after the same instance usually just entails a good cleaning and drying out and not an expensive rebuild kit. My original statement should have read rebuild kit vs. inspection.

Sorry for the confusion. I posted when I was half asleep.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom