Oil spill headed towards Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From The Bonaire Reporter, current edition, Feb 28-Mar 13, 2024, year 31, Issue 5:
1709134823896.png

This is an environmental disaster. If the mangrove is impacted significantly, it will mean far fewer juveniles, which will be reflected in fish numbers on the reef in future. Not to mention the dead birds, fish and turtles in the near term. I certainly hope the booms are effective.

Bonaire reefs were already struggling because of Stony Coral Disease and bleaching.

I hope that Curacao and Aruba take precautionary measures before the oil reaches there.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Posts have been deleted or edited to remove off topic posts and those referring to them.

More intrigue...

On March 2, we drove around the reopened East side. Sorobon and Lac Cai both escaped without any visible (to us) effects.

However, Baby Beach and south roughly 1/2 way to the Lighthouse had a layer deposited at the full moon high tide mark.

We're guessing that this was first point of contact. Reports from friends who visited the National park were negative for any evidence of spill.
PXL_20240302_193315883.jpg

On March 2, we drove around the reopened East side. Sorobon and Lac Cai both escaped without any visible (to us) effects.

However, Baby Beach and south roughly 1/2 way to the Lighthouse had a layer deposited at the full moon high tide mark.

We're guessing that this was first point of contact. Reports from friends who visited the National park were negative for any evidence of spill.
View attachment 830095
I’m supposed to go in three weeks. I’m more concerned about the fact that the actual spill was just contained. Is it still clear on the west cost by the majority of dive sites?

I’m supposed to go in three weeks. I’m more concerned about the fact that the actual spill was just contained. Is it still clear on the west cost by the majority of dive sites?
All dive sites from the Lighthouse north along the west coast including Klein were completely unaffected and remained open throughout the entire episode.

The spilled bunker oil floated on the surface and washed ashore in the area we observed. Nothing left to contain, although the shoreline we observed could use a scrubbing.

Been here for the past 5 weeks. We worry more about cruise ships and late afternoon traffic.

Back
Top Bottom