Oil Rig Trip Report- Oct 29th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope you guys had a super trip out into the Gulf! :D

Princess Hemlon ~ remember to use a quality conditioner on your locks for the next week and shower with Lava Soap because that blue water stuff will stain you for life if you don't and stale your infinite variety

Here's my report of the trip:

This was my 2nd trip this month to the Texas oil rigs. We left early Sunday morning and arrived at the 1st rip around 0945.

My 1st dive was to 142 ft for 34 minutes. The vis was 30-40 ft and the current was noticably stronger than 3 weeks ago. The water temp was 78 degrees.

The 2nd dive was at a different rig and was to 103 ft for 46 mintes. (same conditions otherwise)

The 3rd and final dive was at a 3rd site. The DM and I went down to the bottom which was located at a disppointing 145 ft. The bottom was much more silty than I imagined and the vis below the muck layer was very lake-ish. This dive lasted 1 hr, 7 minutes. I spent a good portion of this dive off-gassing at 10 ft. The blennies and I were one. <G>

Surface pics to follow!

Hemlon:
The DM and I went down to the bottom which was located at a disppointing 145 ft.
I am so jealous Hemlon. I didnt know you guys were going to do that. Congrats. Next time let me know and I will take your picture and let you take mine. I guess if you had seen one of those Goliath groupers you would tell us, right?

For the rest of you, My wife Kathy & I just got back from Port A about 900 pm. I will have a report posted later tonight, hopefully with some picts.

Willie

We hit the rigs again on Sunday hoping to see the whale sharks. No such luck. This time 3 of my dive buddies from Waco went. It was there first rig trip.

The seas were very low going out, no more than 2' waves, but by the end of the day the winds had picked up and we were rocking around quite a bit at the last rig.

I would estimate vis was about 40-50' with a significant but easily manageable current. There were a lot of particles in the water in the upper 50-60' which blocked a lot of sunlight it seemed. Vis below about 80' was much better but it was darker than before due to the amount of junk in the water (at least that is my theory).

Temps were 76 on the surface and 78 at depth.

My first dive was :41 with a max depth of 106'. We spent almost half of that dive below 70'. This was also my first dive in salt water with my AL80 doubles.

I did the second dive in the doubles as well with a plan to suck them down pretty far so I could test my weighting with low tanks. So I got to the safety stop with 500 psi and then hung out till I had about 300 psi left. This dive was :40 with a max of 133' on the computer. It sure was pretty down there, quite a few fish and vis was better with very little current. If I had realized I was so close to the bottom, I would probably have gone on down to take a look.

My last dive was using one of the boat's Steel LP80s. It was for :39 and a max depth of 98'.

I really enjoyed the diving, but we were all disappointed that we didnt see any whale sharks and that conditions were not as good as before. I am really looking forward to another trip some time.

Of course, I took pictures and video. I have the pictures posted here
and I will get some of the video posted later today. I must get some sleep.

Here are a few of the better pictures.

284482665_2670dd8636.jpg

284482722_474724202b.jpg

284482946_bfeddbb095.jpg

284483939_c5c12a9c86.jpg

284484178_96f2bdb02f.jpg

Willie

Willie you guys had far better vis than we did on our rig trip Sunday out of Freeport....and of course more depth.....our sand hit at around 98-102fsw. Nice pictures!! Glad you got to use your new doubles on the trip. :)

Hey Willie,
Great trip report and nice pics, thanks for sharing. You're getting really good at taking those macro shots:) When did you move to doubles? I gotta see your rig one of these days... Take it easy.
Enrique

Back
Top Bottom