Oil pump housing on old Utilius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Abyss

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have an old Utilius / Mako K13. The oil pump housing is a separate piece from the block. It is bolted on with a gasket between the block and the pump housing. I was starting to leak a fair amount of oil from the joint between two so I figured I would replace the gasket. I removed the the the oil pump which drops out of the bottom of the housing but I am not sure how to remove the housing. I pulled on it a bit and it would not come out. It will rotate freely but it seems to be pressed on to the bearing around the main shaft. Any ideas what is the proper way to remove this without damaging it?

Attachments

• K13Bearing.jpg
    K13Bearing.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 85
  • K13Block.jpg
    K13Block.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 80
As mentioned on TDS:

I would make a circular disk puller larger than the outer diameter of the pump housing by about 2-inches and then drill three holes to allow it to bolt onto the housing. Then drill and tap some holes on the outer edge, or weld nuts on there and then put some long bolts in there and tighten them till they hit the compressor housing outside of the sealing surface. You will then be able to tighten each one about a quarter of a turn in sequence until the pump housing extracts from the compressor housing.

I made something similar for my Oceanus fan side balancer and it worked a treat.

Its part of the crankcase assembly don't try and pull pull anything off you may crack the case. The entire crankcase assembly comes out of the housing from the left coil side of the compressor, I'm not sure if that left side oil pump housing comes off or not its been years sense I've had to rebuilt one of those old machines. For education sake that oil pump that bolts on underneath the right side has a push lobe that rides on the crank and is actually out of older diesel Mercedes Ben's car, Bauer use those oil pumps for many years in there older K series compressors. The new Bauer compressors used a low 100 PSI pump that is built internally onto the crank. If you run into trouble PM me I know some one who just rebuilt one of those last year for a guy in Montreal and is a Bauer service rep.

I was trying to visualize what part is holding it in to the crank case. I beleive I have the proper manual for this machine and I can't see anything on the diagram. Do you think there is anyting not being shown here?
View attachment 121463

I'm not sure either, it may be bolted on from the inside so that would mean you would have to pull the crank apart from the other side to get it off or it may also be part of the entire casting and you have a pin hole. Remember scuba compressors are like Harleys they spit oil everywhere.

I have worked on many Bauers but not that old style Utilius, but it looks like the friction of the bearing and crank shaft is keeping it tight (if the bearing is pressed into the housing and not the casing).Or someone used apoxy or locktight to seal the housing up. Us a plastic or rubber, 2lb hammer to work the housing back bit by bit, remember that the casting is brittle so go easy. Do not wedge screw drivers in between the housing and casing. If this doesn't start to back it out or rotate it then stop. Give Bauer or Lawrence factor a call.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom