Offended??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems as this thread has gotten to be a hunter vs non-hunter agenda. I tried spearfishing via freediving, and I couldn't get anything (targeting specific species & size to eat) so I decided to improve my chances by learning to scuba dive. I've got at least 50 dives now, and I've yet to even bring my speargun. Oh, I will...but I wanted to become a proficient diver first. That being said:

a)Afraid on the boat? Most spearguns use a rubber band sling (surgical tubing type material) as the propulsion mechansism. I couldn't see any reason that'd be engaged/cocked "on" the boat. I'd be more scared of the "rambo" knives people carry

b)I've shot my speargun...it shoots straight...at what I aim at. Just like normal "hunting", I'd never fire my gun into the woods when I can't see the impact area....common sense for the low viz theory

c)Folks might be happy to have that spearo down there if an aggresive shark shows up. I've yet to see a shark, and if I did I'm sure I'd be wishing I had my speargun

d)For those afraid of the gun in the water....search the net for some vids....fishkilla productions have quite a few out.
I think the link is: www.fishkillaproductions.com, this is a better link: http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/sell/videoadvertisement.html

Justin699:
that feelings are based on emotions, and emotions are generated independent and on the opposite side of the brain from rational and logic thought

but these feelings are based on fact, as was stated.. so again.. what's your point? lol.

Justin699:
response to line b and c. They were abalone diving, abalone diving gear is designed so as to prevent the animals from bleeding in the first place.

for the third or fourth time, noone claimed to know how much/little blood was in the water during that incident.
apparently you were there and you know.. but noone else claimed it.
you really oughta read these things before you respond to 'em. lol.

"Furthermore, if an abalone were to bleed, it would only be a knick and the amount of smell put out would not be enough to drive a white shark to want to eat a non-prey item."

why don't you test this theory of yours, and THEN get back to us?

"Again, more ignorance, but alas I can answer more questions for you if you have more irrational fears."

I don't recall asking any questions... lol. Again. re-read.
The fact that the "experts" say that spearfishing increases the chances of attracting a feeding shark has been posed as only one of SEVERAL reasons many non-hunters don't care for spearfishers around them.
When you become an expert qualified to refute that, you can call up the shark experts and call them ignorant.

My mistake, the one trying to shove the diving style is cra2,

I sure hope he never need a PPD to get rid of a greysuit!!

I won't even try to explain thing to this indivdual, oviously he's very biased and won't accept any other way.

I beliave that the ocean is big enough so we don't cross path ever.

Mandy3206:
My mistake, the one trying to shove the diving style is cra2,

Can you please find the post where I told you what you could/couldn't do when you go diving?

We (non-spearing members of this board) were asked whether or not we were offended by the presence of spearos on cattleboats. I gave a response and some reasons.
This translates to shoving a rule down your throat?
*wow* I'll try to be more sensitive next time.

Mandy3206:
I won't even try to explain thing to this indivdual, oviously he's very biased and won't accept any other way.

What kind of logic is that?
Are you just as biased because you won't accept "my" way?

You're entitled to your opinion, 'nuff said

:07: :07: :07: :07:

Cra2, the more you speak the more you prove your ignorance. And no your feelings are not based on facts, at least not accurate facts! And I do test that theory all the time, diving in the same cove he was attacked in. I hardly see how you have the credibility to talk about abalone in that you have likely never seen one or dove for them, particularly dove for them where the events occured. Cra2, I hope you take a PADI hunting and collecting class, it will educate you and eliminate your falsely based "feelings"

cra2:
for the third or fourth time, noone claimed to know how much/little blood was in the water during that incident.
apparently you were there and you know.. but noone else claimed it.
you really oughta read these things before you respond to 'em. lol.

"Furthermore, if an abalone were to bleed, it would only be a knick and the amount of smell put out would not be enough to drive a white shark to want to eat a non-prey item."

why don't you test this theory of yours, and THEN get back to us?

"Again, more ignorance, but alas I can answer more questions for you if you have more irrational fears."

I don't recall asking any questions... lol. Again. re-read.
The fact that the "experts" say that spearfishing increases the chances of attracting a feeding shark has been posed as only one of SEVERAL reasons many non-hunters don't care for spearfishers around them.
When you become an expert qualified to refute that, you can call up the shark experts and call them ignorant.

Mandy3206:
You're entitled to your opinion, 'nuff said

:07: :07: :07: :07:

and you, yours.
thank you. lol.

Justin699:
Cra2, the more you speak the more you prove your ignorance.

Do you even read this stuff? lol.
The more you speak, the more you dodge the issue and attack the individual. That's what happens when rational thought and logic fail you?

Justin699:
And no your feelings are not based on facts, at least not accurate facts!"

Sigh. We're going in circles here.
Once more, for those of you in the special seating; if you wish to argue the facts about the relative danger of spearfishing to diving, you're more than welcome to call your local shark biologist and explain his/her ignorance in an attempt to get them to change their published stance on the issue so that us "ignorant" divers can be updated. 'Til then, quit repeating yourself, because noone cares what your theories are. lol. Post them in some thread called "the myths and merits of Justin's theories."

Justin699:
And I do test that theory all the time, diving in the same cove he was attacked in.

Please.. PLEASE.. continue to do so. rofl.

Justin699:
I hardly see how you have the credibility to talk about abalone in that you have likely never seen one or dove for them,

...uh.. where did I "talk about abalone" ?

Oh, you're right,.. you caught me.. my ignorance was revealed last post back when I posted a lengthy discourse on my past career as a brave abalone hunter, where I described in detail how I, a short little girl with no arms and a hairy mole on my neck, managed to feed my family for years. My father would place a sharpened stick in my mouth and tie a particularly course rope around my ankles while holding me aloft on his boat. Then, with a mighty yell, he would throw me into the water at the great white abalones that circled menacingly, drawn in by the scent of clipped toe-nails my sister would sprinkle around us.

Justin699:
Cra2, I hope you take a PADI hunting and collecting class, it will educate you and eliminate your falsely based "feelings"

ROFL.. Justin, I happen to be friends with (and have dived with) the guy who WROTE that PADI course. lol.

open mouth/insert foot syndrome?

Look, since you're obviously feeling threatened that some anonymous person on the net is dangerously close to revoking your underwater hunter badge, I'll help you out -
Justin.. your badge is safe. I give you, and only you, permission to carry a pointy stick and poke anything you want underwater. Happy? :)

The question posed was simple.
Who knows what the motivation for it was.
But it seemed to be a spearo trying to find out if/why non-spearos felt some way. Very thoughtful question.
Some non-spearos gave their honest opinions.
You've since called them stupid.
You win.
You've convinced us that all spearos are great to be around.
And, we're all going to listen to you now and not the experts with all the funny little letters after their names.
You're a credit to your kind.
All hail Justin.

Goodbye, this thread's circled the drain enough. lol.

I have to admit I'm always a tad bit uneasy when they're lots of guns and divers on the same wreck/area. We don't always know the experience of our other divers and yes, mistakes do happen. I'm all for the collection of tasty sea creatures (weathervane scallops are the BEST!) Would it be better/safer to only allow only Hawaiian Slings or pole spears on crowded boats? Any thoughts?
*Yes, I agree cattle boats are offensive, but when it comes down to diving with the herd or not diving at all...moo, mooo.
Poog

Back
Top Bottom