Offended??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206 you said:
...what they're going to consume and not the little fish...

Unfortunatley Mandy you are 100% wrong about that. Serious fishermen will tell you that the little fish ARE the ones that you keep for two very important reasons.

1) The smaller fish have much lower levels of toxins in them then bigger fish do. If you are in an area that has little to no pollution, this may be a moot point.

2) The bigger fish are more prolific spawners. The smaller fishes reproductive systems are not as fully mature as the bigger fishes are. Bigger fish tend to spawn a lot more than the smaller ones.

Now I myself am not a hunter. I have never been on a cattle boat, and I do not have the desire to be on a cattle boat with spearos on it. Would I be offended if I was? No. I am not going to put myself in a position to BE offended. I am also not going to create a scene on the boat either. If people want to spear fish, let them.

Now, let's all go and dive!!! :dazzler1:

I disagree with you in the point that no self respect spearo would shoot a small fish, just look at any board with pictures of the catch of the day, and you won't find a small fish fer sure.

What you may consider small?

In my case, I consider a small fish anything smaller than 12" long, some people may have diferent standards, but no serious spearo would shoot a 6" fish, that's a fact.

As said before, you may find some knuckle head that want to spear anything for the macho feeling, but that person will quit very soon 'cause they're doing it for the wrong reasons.

I've been spearfishing for the last 25yrs, and I've seen many people buy the most expensive and specialized guns in the market just to show off at the dock or the cattle boat, but in one or two dves they offer the gear for sale or put it in their hall of fame to show his buudies what he used when he was Spearfishing.

Bottomline, they don't last long spearfishing.

essroc123 is right,bigger fish have more offspring (eggs) as the smaller ones.You can read it up (ther,s some reports)from the australian tuna fisheries who started(pioneered this system) to harvest only smaller tunas and raise them in pod,s till they gained enough weight to be exported to japan,that leaves the bigger tuna,s to keep the stock up in numbers,this system has (since) been adapted by fisheries around the world.Anyway thanks for all the replies....Peace

Anyone got stats on divers being injured as a result of another divers spearfishing?As in directly by being injured by the gear or spearfisher,indirectly by actions taken by the spearfisher and furthur indirectly by animal interactions deemed to be caused by the spearfisher.IMHO there will be a far greater danger having an oblivious diver onboard.

alemaozinho:
essroc123 is right,bigger fish have more offspring (eggs) as the smaller ones.You can read it up (ther,s some reports)from the australian tuna fisheries who started(pioneered this system) to harvest only smaller tunas and raise them in pod,s till they gained enough weight to be exported to japan,that leaves the bigger tuna,s to keep the stock up in numbers,this system has (since) been adapted by fisheries around the world.Anyway thanks for all the replies....Peace

Ok lets say that this is true and take it as a prooven fact.

How many "big fish" can a horde of spearos can take from the sea in a given area in given space of time?

Lets say that 20 spearos in a 10 SNM take 200 'big fish" in one Hr. (extremely high number in my opinion)

Two comercial fishermen can harvest more than ten times that quantity in the same area, in the same Hr with a net.

As you can see Spearos can't make a dent in fish population even if they wanted to, if you want to save the species, you have to stop comercial fishing and of course close all the seafood restaurant and forget to eat that lobster in a friday night date.

Also the Spearo kn ows exactly what he's fishing and goes one on one with the fish (any Spearo can tell you that "big fish" is harder to catch than small fish) and sometimes you miss the shot and the fish is gone!!

Nets or lines, don't discriminate what they catch, even endangered species will be caught and I don't see nobody telling them to stop fishing and I see a lot of people blaming Spearos for the depletion of the sea.

Go figure.

I know that isn't the question on this thread, but some people brought it up.

Mandy3206:
Ok lets say that this is true and take it as a prooven fact.

Mandy, it IS true it IS a proven fact. You are also right in that commercial fishermen's nets don't discriminate in what they catch. But that is not what I was talking about. I was saying (please re-read my post) that taking big fish and leaving the small ones is the exact opposite of what is practised from a conservation point of view.

Spearos can and should discriminate in what they harvest.

Because someone has been spearfishing for a long time does not necessarily mean that they are an expert. I have been breathing for the past almost 32 years, that does not mean that I am an expert at it. :wink:

In any event this thread I think has run it's course. The original question has been asked and answered.

Let's go diving!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom