Offbeat question for Luzon experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be traveling to the Anilao area in just about one month for a couple of weeks with Eagle Point resort, and in my research about this area I came up with the fact that this place is just south of the center of local manufacture of Balisong knives. They seem to sell them everywhere down there from what I can tell, and even have roadside stands peddling them from glass cases. It occurred to me that one of these might make a really unique souvenir from this place, and wondered if anyone here might have any advice for me on this topic. I know this is not scuba oriented, but I don't really know anywhere else to access people who know the area and who might have insights for me on this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Woody

I will be traveling to the Anilao area in just about one month for a couple of weeks with Eagle Point resort, and in my research about this area I came up with the fact that this place is just south of the center of local manufacture of Balisong knives. They seem to sell them everywhere down there from what I can tell, and even have roadside stands peddling them from glass cases. It occurred to me that one of these might make a really unique souvenir from this place, and wondered if anyone here might have any advice for me on this topic. I know this is not scuba oriented, but I don't really know anywhere else to access people who know the area and who might have insights for me on this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Woody

Denise was kind enough to pick me up one!!!!! Came back no prob. My new favorite letter opener!!!! It needs to be worked in a bit for the ninja master tricks.

Tom

I just came back from there, and I too picked up a couple of locally crafted Balisongs at a city market between Anilao and Batangas. The market was the usual crowded confusion, selling everything under the sun in a gymnasium sized space with hundreds of vendors, each running their 10 foot by 10 foot shop space with goods piled high and hanging from the ceiling, and a rats nest of walkways twisting back and forth through the chaos. You almost had to bring your own air. All in all, your typical Philippine market. The vendor I found was selling farm tools, like machetes and cane knives, etc., and when I asked about balisongs, she showed me a display case with about a hundred of them in all colors, blade types, handle insert variations, etc. They also had some that were about 2 feet long (folded! Swords, anybody?) and a few which were 2 inches long and on keychains. I got one of these for my wife, who thinks it is the cutest pocketknife she has ever seen. (Major spousepoints scored!) As to the main issue, I picked out one which I liked, and asked the price. 250 pesos was the reply. Hmmm, that's about- 6 BUCKS! Wow! I chose another, slightly more expensive one, and after a little haggling walked away with both for the princely sum of 450 pesos, slightly less than 11 dollars US. I couldn't believe it! Yes, they are slightly crudely made, with obvious hand crafting, and the polishing could have been better, but hey! This is native craftsmanship, and I consider it part of the charm! I heard about issues with getting them out of the country, and came prepared with a mailing tube and bubblewrap, ready to ship them home, except I found no-one willing to ship them! Fed Ex, DHL, and another one who I don't remember all refused to accept the package, stating shipping prohibitions. No one could explain any further, however. I had heard that the Philippine postal service was largely unreliable, so that left me with no shipping options. Bummer! One of my dive buddies, upon hearing my tale of woe, simply said "fer chrissake- just put them in the pockets of your two BCs and ship them home in your checked luggage! If they catch them, which I STRONGLY doubt, just say they are your diveknives!" Hmmm. So, that's what I did. I had a few nervous moments at the airport, when I saw they were x-raying every piece of luggage as soon as it came in the door, but the luggage slid right through without a quibble, and went right to the airline without any difficulty. So, who knows? Anyway, I got them through, and now have a couple of unique souvenirs of my Philippine encounter. I am also writing a long detailed trip report, so watch for this as well. Woody

Nice! You got them through airport security. I saw a diver stopped on the carry-on luggage inspection because of his dive knife but maybe that was because he forgot to check it in.

In case some of you are wondering, here's what a Balisong looks like:
images

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom