Offatts Bayou 04/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toecutter

Reaction score
Hi All,

Took my first dive in salt water today. Offatts Bayou was cleaner than I expected on the bottom and the temp was a blistering 71 degrees. I saw tons of fish and about a dozen crabs big enough to eat, plus many hermit crabs. There was a milky layer around 15 feet that cut vis to nothing but above this I would guess 7 to 10 feet. I had been warned of boat traffic but I did not even hear a screw and I was down for more than an hour. Anyone interested in checking this place out should do so. I am going back in the morning. I also bought my first tank today and I am dying to drain it.

Toe

Be a pal and tell us what sorts of fishes you peeped (anything subtropical?). I'd also like to know what your maximum and average depths were. I've never actually been under the water in the Bayou but just stare dumbly at it from the dock.

archman:
Be a pal and tell us what sorts of fishes you peeped (anything subtropical?). I'd also like to know what your maximum and average depths were. I've never actually been under the water in the Bayou but just stare dumbly at it from the dock.

The only type of fish I can readily identify is Sheepshead and Redfish. I saw several large sheepshead and one was so busy eating that I got within 2 feet of it. I saw several fish that were striped like a watermelon and shaped like a bass. These were smaller though (I would guess less than 2 lbs.) I saw many schools of small fish about the size of a silver dollar and shaped kind of like angel fish. These were silver. My average depth was 12 feet and I did not look for deep spots because of a silt layer starting around 15 feet. Hope this helps.

The "watermelon" fish were probably either pinfish, sea bream, or maybe even small chubs. They are all striped like bass. The little silver things might have been lookdowns or younger pinfish. There's not a lot of fish diversity in coastal Texas, alas.

I LOVE sheepshead. It's like a 'lil bit 'o texas whenever I see one in Florida or the Caribbean. They're like cowboys too; fairly solitary, tough, and not easily scared. And you can always expect to find 'em in nearshore places (docks & rocks) where most reef fishes chicken out.
Geesh, maybe I should marry one... :bfish:

Toecutter:
The only type of fish I can readily identify is Sheepshead and Redfish. I saw several large sheepshead and one was so busy eating that I got within 2 feet of it. I saw several fish that were striped like a watermelon and shaped like a bass. These were smaller though (I would guess less than 2 lbs.) I saw many schools of small fish about the size of a silver dollar and shaped kind of like angel fish. These were silver. My average depth was 12 feet and I did not look for deep spots because of a silt layer starting around 15 feet. Hope this helps.

Good post, Toe! Truly a good example to others that one can dive in Offatt's at Galveston. There are a lot of interesting things to see. Good points: Viz is usually 6-10 feet and it can be dived all year long. It ain't Coz but it is close, it's salty and it's free.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom