Off-gassing time countdown. Huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to compare the results to my data cruncher to see what the algorithm calculates

You're confused about what the algorithm calculates, and are also mixing up off-gassing "on land" with the potential effects of traveling to unknown altitudes with uncertain cabin pressures. Simply put, the computer is supposed to give you a calculation for when you can dive again and for how long/deep/with what stops, based on its collected data and algorithm. It's not designed to predict what will happen to your body if you depart normal surface pressure and start flying around at some pressure it knows not what.

Hence the 24 hour rule (which gets extended or chopped depending on who you ask and what you've done), which is not unlike the max pO2 rules: it's not that there's a scientific explanation for why that's enough time--it may be too little and is generally too much. But it's a handy amount of time that generally produces zero problems.

It's not 100% clear what you're asking for. If it's a predicted time of theoretical complete off-gassing (time at which, assuming no interruptions of the SI, the tissues will be completely clear according to the algorithm), I suppose that could be displayed or made optional... it might be interesting information. But relating it to "OK to fly" time would be flatly wrong as I stated above.

If it's some kind of 24hr "You Can Fly [Time/Date]" function... the UI already displays your SI. And people with a lot more experience in treating altitude-triggered DCI than SW have already made suggestions about when it's safe to fly after diving. You can rely on them or not as you choose. Why should SW integrate their suggestions into a computer not designed to provide that kind of information?

Last edited:
It's not 100% clear what you're asking for. If it's a predicted time of theoretical complete off-gassing (time at which, assuming no interruptions of the SI, the tissues will be completely clear according to the algorithm), I suppose that could be displayed or made optional... it might be interesting information. But relating it to "OK to fly" time would be flatly wrong as I stated above.

Yes, that was pretty much what I was interested in.

If it's some kind of 24hr "You Can Fly [Time/Date]" function... the UI already displays your SI. And people with a lot more experience in treating altitude-triggered DCI than SW have already made suggestions about when it's safe to fly after diving. You can rely on them or not as you choose. Why should SW integrate their suggestions into a computer not designed to provide that kind of information?

Fair enough, I understand that and I am happy with what SW decided to do with their product.
Again, stupid as it is, when I teach SSI and PADI open water courses I have to talk about the No-Fly time mode in a computer, which most of the recreational devices have as a simple 24hrs countdown clock, and I just wanted to know if I could show the students such function on a Petrel.
I can't, and it's not a problem. I will stick to the shop's suuntos to do that.

Thank you for your intervention, much appreciated.
:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom