Of possible interest to divers who are into tattoos. A word to the wise.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
deadly-tattoo.jpg

Vibrio vulnificus septic shock due to a contaminated tattoo -- Hendren et al. 2017 -- BMJ Case Reports

This unfortunate gentleman had a history of chronic liver disease. However, a wait of 2-3 weeks before exposure of the affected skin to seawater is advised by many experts, even for those persons with normal liver status.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I would imagine the caution to be valid for any diver with a significant open wound as well.

Doc: Can you provide some plain engrish recommendations? I read the link and it was mostly gibberish to me.

Questions:
- do I need to wait 2-3 weeks after any tattoo work?
OR
- do I need to wait 2-3 weeks after infected tattoo work?
OR
- do I need to wait 2-3 weeks after any kind of skin infection (even if I have no tattoos?)

How does chronic liver disease change any of the above answers?

I found This interesting as I had a traditional tatu done in French Polynesia with pig bone and shark teeth tools and contrary to ever other tattooing I've had done (machine or bamboo) the tattooist finished and said now walk straight into the sea.

I questioned his 'wisdom' and got a smile and "We invented Tatu/Tatoo we know what we are doing".

His only request was that I waited til the end of my trip so my wetsuit wouldn't be over it - quickest healing tattoo I've ever had without a sign of infection.

I'd hazard a guess the waters in the Tuomotos is far cleaner than the Gulf of Mexico - your thoughts Doc ?

Doc: Can you provide some plain engrish recommendations? I read the link and it was mostly gibberish to me.

Questions:
OR
OR
- do I need to wait 2-3 weeks after any kind of skin infection (even if I have no tattoos?)

I'm not a doctor so take this for what it's worth. When first set a tattoo is essentially an open wound. It will need 2-3 weeks to heal before you should go in the water. That's what my tattoo guy told me at any rate. Use your head about it. If you have issues with wounds getting infected easily then wait longer. Also you need to take care of the tattoo while it's healing. You can't just ignore it.

R..

Questions:
OR
OR

Hey giffenk,

Any tattoo -- 2 weeks probably too short; 3 weeks probably adequate given no other medical contraindications.

Infected tattoo or other skin infection - most prudent to avoid any contact with seawater until infection is entirely resolved.

Chronic liver disease and the above (good question)- the liver is a very substantial source of bodies known as macrophages. These are a type of white blood cell that play a major role in fighting bacterial infections (and in attacking many other foreign substances that do not have the types of proteins specific to healthy body cells on their surface). Macrophages also are important in immune regulation and wound-healing. Given these facts, the implications are obvious.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom