Odd Story?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read it that they were on the surface by this time... bearing in mind it's several hours later

It's possible if it was an open-bottom bag

As for the rest of the story...

Even an open SMB or lift bag should reach the surface. Once there it might "dump" andf drop, but that was not mentioned in the tale. I suppose if there was no drag on the line to the bag it could dump in the water column, but, as with most of the rest of the story.......... :idk:

Even an open SMB or lift bag should reach the surface. Once there it might "dump" andf drop, but that was not mentioned in the tale. I suppose if there was no drag on the line to the bag it could dump in the water column, but, as with most of the rest of the story.......... :idk:

I interpreted the story to say that they were trying to use the bag to lift their buddy to the surface (only because that was the only way IMO that one could not get enough air in it to have it not ascend). I could be wrong but with a BS story like this one, I will not lose any sleep :D. Until of course it hits IMAX.

I stopped short of calling bs, in case there is some grain of truth in the tale, however unlikely.

As it was a second hand, second hand, tale told to someone with little apparently experience (AND a first post TOO!), by another with apparent anymosity toward anything "tech", and little in the story makes real world sense, it does make one wonder about sources and motives.

As it was a second hand, second hand, tale told to someone with little apparently experience (AND a first post TOO!), by another with apparent anymosity toward anything "tech", and little in the story makes real world sense, it does make one wonder about sources and motives.

Actually, the "teller" aspires to be a tek diver. It's my first post because it's the first time I needed to ask a question about diving, and I couldn't think of a better place to ask.

Thanks for the responses.

Ya, I always felt sorry for the bag guys, in the movies. Immagine how unfair it was when a mere 5 or 6 of them, armed only with high power, fully auto weapons were forced to go up against Starski and Hutch, armed with pistols. Terribly outclassed those Hollywood bad guys were every time, having to face such devastating, and accurate firepower, from Hollywood's famous "eternal clip" equipped handguns .

Even better was that Hutch carried a revolver and don;t ever recall seeing a speedloader!

Reactions: Jax
Actually, the "teller" aspires to be a tek diver.
Oh don't let them lure you over with their cookies and snacks. You've been told a BS story IMO or you've been told a story missing most of the "facts" (thus making it a BS story IMO). Do not let it taint your future training :wink:

Oh and by the way, it is Technical, not Teknical.

If they were shooting it to mark the position of the body for recovery (tied off), or to indicate a problem (not tied off), it's possible it would dump and sink... sometimes my self-sealing SMB looks like it's having a conniption with the strange currents we get in Puerto Galera

Oh and by the way, it is Technical, not Teknical

Who cares

If they were shooting it to mark the position of the body for recovery (tied off), or to indicate a problem (not tied off), it's possible it would dump and sink... sometimes my self-sealing SMB looks like it's having a conniption with the strange currents we get in Puerto Galera

Who cares

I do not mean this personally, but if anyone thinks that it is acceptable to tie off your SMB to mark your buddy's body, and continue your dive.........

I am usually pretty accepting of almost anybody as a buddy, once, but if I had the chance to buddy with a diver with an attitude like that..... :shocked2: :no:

Also the story seemed to indicate that this "Buddy" w/o real buddies, was somehow miraculously, not yet dead. :idk:

chennai: Not saying you were trolling, but regular posters on SB have learned that it is wise to look more closely at first posts, as we do get deliberate :gas:

You say you have an interest, and if so, it never hurts to ask. If you are interested in exploring the more tech oriented areas of the sport there are sure some great people on this board who will gladly answer your questions. Simply state your interest, and I am sure you will get a response.

The problem was that the story you posted has a lot of very questionable pieces to it, that send up red flags, and invite the "bs" label.

I do not mean this personally, but if anyone thinks that it is acceptable to tie off your SMB to mark your buddy's body, and continue your dive...

What if they were an instabuddy?

What if they were an instabuddy?

Such a buddy would sure tempt me to want them turned into insta-shark bait :shakehead:

Not saying there are not people so callous, and self absorbed in this world, but let us prey that none of us, or those we care for are ever buddied with such while underwater, where the whole reason for having a buddy is life support not body disposal/marking. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom