Odd request. Looking to hire a diver to retrieve an item

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it a boat?

As for the rate i charge 100 euros to put my wetsuit on, the first 10 minutes of diving is free :)

I think you're making the problem much harder than it really is.

Go to the site, charge whatever you think is fair. If the shallow dive goes as planned, no harm no foul. If poo happens, you were "just" doing a recreational dive in a new location.

I start by saying "I don't get in the water for less than $125" then we discuss the other pieces. Time, mileage, fuss...lots of things to factor in.
When running the math, I'd be hard-pressed to do a dive for less.

First, I'd have to load equipment, drive to the dive-shop, fill tanks, drive to the location, lug gear from car to location, put on my gear, dive in unknown conditions and depth, lets assume 2 dives (maybe or maybe-not find the item), load up equipment, drive home, wash off equipment, set it out to dry, shower, then finally put it away.

The only thing that would make a $125 dive worth it, would be if the dive doubled as recreational.

Story time about what not to do: The one time I did an attempted retrieval dive, it was me and my dive-buddy. We drive my buddy's boat and arrived at the dock where a boat-prop had dropped, dropped a line about where the prop fell in, and started the dive. I lost my dive buddy on the way down, and hit bottom at 130ft in 54f water. There was about a 3 to 6 inch layer of silt. My dive-light was almost useless, because it had a narrow beam that was blinding in a tiny spot, and no spill. I found the line we dropped, but didn't see the prop nearby. The short-story is the dive was miserable, we didn't find it, and it was potentially dangerous (especially for me, a newer diver) without a redundant air supply.

My buddy didn't condition payment on whether we found the prop or not. We could have instead went about 1/2 mile away to a party-boat spot and easily found a bunch of sunglasses instead.

I mean I'm paying significantly more than 125 lol. I've already discussed the numbers with a few people. Honestly for my goals here I'm willing to pay a decent amount. I don't know what the whole insurance need is or whatnot. Honestly not even super worried if they can't find my camera.

When you want someone to fetch something, describe what you lost and where you lost it. Finding a camera dropped from a dock in 8’ of water onto a silty bottom is very different from we lost it jump off some rocks at a popular beach with a Sandy bottom. I would pass on a propellor at 134’ because of the depth. I have looked for equipment in lakes a couple of times (with no luck). I did find an outboard in 35’ that had jumped it’s mount and sank in open water. The boat crew marked the approximate spot with a buoy and I found it on the second dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom