odd regulator problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hcchu

New
Reaction score
Hello, first time poster here.

I'm having an odd problem with a new regulator. It's an atomic z2, and I can breathe (well, more like draw a tiny amount of air) through my octo when it is not connected to a tank and the dust cap is on. However, I cannot breathe through the atomic second stage at all.

I thought it was a problem with the octo at first, but i removed it from the first stage and covered the end of the hose with my finger and i couldn't draw any air from it. Seems like it should be a problem with my first stage, but then why can't I draw any air at all from my primary (I tried REAL hard too)? I also moved it to some other ports but had the same result. I also tried a different second stage in addition to the octo.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Ill probably call up the shop where I purchased it from but i have a feeling they'll say it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

My first guess would be that the O-ring on the end of the hose that your octopus is attached to is either missing or damaged.

R..

I believe that primary 2nd stage is a balanced adjustable with the Atomiuc orifice that uses IP to aid the seal against the seat. I suspect the leak allowing you to get air at your octo is normal and is coming from your primary. To confirm, pull the primary from the 1st, seal that port, and see if you can still draw thru the octo. If you can, then that is most likely the cause of the symptoms. Crank the adjustment knob all the way in and see if that stops it. If it does, you can probably get away with soaking your rig with that knob all the way in. If not, make sure it is pressurized when you do the post SW dive soaks.

awap:
I believe that primary 2nd stage is a balanced adjustable with the Atomiuc orifice that uses IP to aid the seal against the seat. I suspect the leak allowing you to get air at your octo is normal and is coming from your primary. To confirm, pull the primary from the 1st, seal that port, and see if you can still draw thru the octo. If you can, then that is most likely the cause of the symptoms. Crank the adjustment knob all the way in and see if that stops it. If it does, you can probably get away with soaking your rig with that knob all the way in. If not, make sure it is pressurized when you do the post SW dive soaks.

exactly what I was thinking.

the above is correct, but don't soak it without pressure on it or you may flood the reg.

awap:

That was exactly it. Thank you!

Is there no way around soaking it without pressure? I don't own a tank, and I'll probably be using this reg during travel. Can I soak just the first stage? Or maybe soak the first stage with the second stage out of the water, and afterwards soak the second stage with the first stage out of water?

hcchu:
That was exactly it. Thank you!

Is there no way around soaking it without pressure? I don't own a tank, and I'll probably be using this reg during travel. Can I soak just the first stage? Or maybe soak the first stage with the second stage out of the water, and afterwards soak the second stage with the first stage out of water?

What you need to avoid is water getting into the LP hose thru the primary and working it's way into the 1st. You could remove the primary from the 1st and install a port plug to soak the 1st & octo. Hoses & 2nds can be soaked without consern of getting everything wet. But they must be throughly dried before attaching to the 1st. And you want that soaking to include hose ends. I'd try plugging thre open end of the detached LP hose and then check that it is dry before reassembly.

Back
Top Bottom