Odd question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, how do people feel about prescription lens in their masks? Is it a real benefit? Im not totally blind without my glasses, but I can see the advantages of being able to see the boat when coming out of the water!
You should make this a different thread, not related to ears! And do a little searching first....lots of threads on this.

a local dermatologist actually recommended salt water and sunlight for my friend's pretty serious psoriasis (in addition with the other stuff) so the ocean diving could probably be beneficial I think. Saying him like "travel to Spain or Portugal couple of times a year and swim in the ocean+have a lot of sun" and "taking regular saltwater baths in your bathtub may also help"

If your friend has small wounds or other more serious damage because of the psoriasis then those probably would be needed to be taken care of first so that he is not risking infections. After that, ocean diving could actually help his condition :)

I had a doc who was a diver, who recommended poly podiumleucotomos (oral supplement) for my husband's psoriasis. He had a patch of skin that was like pink leather on his shin. She asked if it got better when he went on a dive trip (sun and salt water) and he said yes. She said take this supplement and see what happens (we buy it on Amazon). Within two weeks it was gone! He'd been to many dermatologists with no improvement. I have had skin cancers so I take it daily for skin health. Polypodium is made from a fern found in South America and more producers are putting it into sunscreen or distributing it in pill form to help with sun damage.

I'm not a doctor, but it worked really well for my husband. And if your friend can get his psoriasis under control he might dive - or not - but it would be a relief.

a local dermatologist actually recommended salt water and sunlight for my friend's pretty serious psoriasis (in addition with the other stuff) so the ocean diving could probably be beneficial I think. Saying him like "travel to Spain or Portugal couple of times a year and swim in the ocean+have a lot of sun" and "taking regular saltwater baths in your bathtub may also help"

If your friend has small wounds or other more serious damage because of the psoriasis then those probably would be needed to be taken care of first so that he is not risking infections. After that, ocean diving could actually help his condition :)
Interesting. When I was a kid and had a cut my mom always said to go in the salt water, it'll fix most things.

Interesting. When I was a kid and had a cut my mom always said to go in the salt water, it'll fix most things.
might work if the water would be clean but I would not risk getting any tropical infection because of having small skin wounds. there may be all kinds of nasty stuff in the water, especially in shallow warm waters

You should really make the thread title descriptive of the subject. "Odd question" won't always get you the interest and response you need.

I'll put in my vote for Docs vented proplugs. I used to always have water in my ears for the duration of a dive vacation and it was annoying as anything. None of the over the counter remedies provided a good solution. Best way is to keep the water out not deal with it after it's splashing against your eardrums. The Docs plugs do a fine job. They're inexpensive and easy to use. I can't think of one good reason why not to use them other than the fact that after a recent liveaboard dive trip where I did 27 dives in 5.5 days my ears got a bit sore from the plugs.

Re the plugs: You have to be careful not to let them fall out and lose them. I wound up wrapping the cord once around my mask strap. As well, one may come off the cord, especially if you tug on it for some reason. I have used glue and other methods at times to secure the plugs. And I have a spare pair.

You have to be careful not to let them fall out and lose them. I wound up wrapping the cord once around my mask strap. As well, one may come off the cord

Yes get the ones with the leashes on them and wrap them once around the mask strap, and keep them with your mask so you don't forget to put them in your ears and they won't be lost should one or both fall out during the dive. It takes some practice to get them in just right but after a few tries they'll be in there snug, and they won't fall out on their own (for the most part). Have your buddy check that they're inserted correctly the first few times. You need a fitting set in order to get the right size. If the leash breaks free of the plug then throw it in your spare parts bag and get a new set. They're cheap enough.

Be careful: Clean water with table salt added can sting like crazy but is a good cleanser. (My mom used Epsom salts on bad wounds when I was a kid. E.g., when I stepped on a metal rake wearing flip-flops.....)

Seawater is full of bacteria and viruses, however.

I have a friend that swears that his psoriasis improves after being in the Ocean. I imagine that Your Milage May Vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom