odd post...sorry hurting at the moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly.... we can study creatures in captivity, but what are we really learning? There is nothing natural about a wild animal in captivity. So right from the beginning the results and findings are tainted with false properties on so many levels. If man wants a true and accurate study of things in the wild and how they exist, the subjects should be studied in their natural habitat. It is a well known "FACT"!!!! that the whales and dolphins are heavily medicated and sedated to reduce stress levels of captive living.

Not only that, but the argument that captivity is necessary to help us advance the protection of any given species, fails to explain/justify a major zoo and/or aquarium in almost every major city across the U.S. If this were truly as simple as a path to learning what is required to protect these species, there would not be a need to subject so many to captivity as is currently done. I'm afraid that argument is used mostly to justify the confinement, and convince the general public they need not feel guilty for taking pleasure in visiting such places.

Wild animals do not belong in captivity for the amusement of silly human beings period. Anyone who supports these activities should be locked up accordingly and suffer the same trauma and fate.

Anyone who saw the video of the trainer in who got VIOLENTLY killed by the Orca will agree that no wild creature will ever be truly happy or TAME in captivity.....

I mostly agree with that. The exceptions are keeping disabled or injured animals that would not survive in the wild.

Adam

Blood Dolphins is also a new series out by the maker of "The Cove" on Animal planet as a weekly series. Friday evening at 9pm is the first episode.

Ric O'Barry was the original trainer of "Flipper" starting the dolphin craze then becoming the first trainer for Sea World. It further documents his crusade to expose the dolphin trade beyond "The Cove" in different locations around the world.

I am sorry for your loss, no matter what peoples' perception of captive animals it must be a very difficult time for you. The bond between trainers and their orcas must be exceptionally strong. You can take comfort in the fact you do your best every day to care for them.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight...

1. You feel that captive study is just as good (better?) than in their natural habitat (in situ)?

No. I feel it offers insights not always available or practical in nature. Nature is generally better as more natural behavior is demonstrated.

2. Tell me more about the success of captive Great White Sharks

? I don't think I have to justify every captive program do I. I'm not the worlds spokesman on the subject, just offering my POV on the pros and cons of captive whale research.

3. Are your own feelings at least somewhat a justification of your professional association?

I am many times at odds with my profession and feel no need to justify it. I consider my self successful when/if my clients say they no longer need my assistance. There are issues such as cyanide capture, wild species vs captive breeding, genetic and surgical alteration and innapropriate species sales (to name a few). People directly involved have to work through problems like that while those who have no vested interest can adopt loftier positions. If we are worried about cruelty to animals how about a frank discussion regarding vegetarianism? That would stop a lot of it but I bet something that would directly effect the lives of those protesting would receive a much cooler reception. Better to focus on issues that demand nothing from us personally.

4. So we create captivity in order to demand that there be no captivity? (Free Willy example)

No. I was merely pointing out that saying nothing good comes out of captivity is a bit myopic. I also think that the makers of that film were a little ??? to use a captive whale to get their non captivity agenda across. Willy's success was due to the fact that the training allowed the filmmaker to portray a whale with human characteristics that the audience then related to. We protect what we love, and we loved Willy because he seemed to feel the same emotions we do. If he had the appeal of a Tuna we would just want to eat him.

Just want to get a better clarification. I am still of the opinion that I have a lot to learn - but I also want to be convinced about the things I am wrong about with good evidence to the contrary....

Me too. That's why I try to take the initial emotional reaction out of the equation and look at things from a variety of perspectives. For the most part I come away seeing validity in both sides of the argument which usually makes me unpopular with both sides. I tend to avoid polarizing viewpoints. The adult world is often times filled with messy situations; rehabilitation and punishment, civil rights and national security, profit and preservation. We can take the easy path and adopt a polarized position or we can wade in and be left with the realization that there are no simple answers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom