Octopus with single blue-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeaDLocK

Registered
Reaction score
Whilst diving in Anilao, Philippines, we came across quite a few of these guys. Largish heads (about 1.5 inches wide). A single blue ring flashed on either side of their body, in between tentacles and head, when we got too close. After a while, it would retreat a few yards away, but not before colour morphing into a pattern of vertical dark and light strips.

Generally quite docile, and happy to climb all over camera lens and steel rod, though we didn't want to get too close, just in case.

A single blue ring flashed on either side of their body, in between tentacles and head, when we got too close. After a while, it would retreat a few yards away, but not before colour morphing into a pattern of vertical dark and light strips.

It sounds like "poison ocellate octopus" (Octopus mototi) although they aren't normally found in the Philippines (from the few literature that I've seen) - a pic would REALLY help in this case...

I just did a search for octopus mototi, and yes, that is certainly the critter. We encountered three different individuals on one dive, and the DM says they're a regular occurrence along the mucky dive sites in the area.

Thanks!

I just did a search for octopus mototi, and yes, that is certainly the critter. We encountered three different individuals on one dive, and the DM says they're a regular occurrence along the mucky dive sites in the area.

Thanks!

Cool! I've yet to see one but from the photos I've seen they are very beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom