Octopus - how does one tell one species from another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a fair number of Octopus pictures. Most are the common octopus, and very easy to ID when large. But small ones are a very different story.

In the last few weeks, have gotten images of what are obviously very different ones, but don't have a clue which they are.

This one was taken last year, it is about 5 inches long:

Octo704.JPG

This one is about 4 inches tall from this last weekend:

Octo501.JPG

Both are off of Destin, fl in around 80 ft of water.

On the second one, regardless of what color he(her) changed to, it's breathing tube (whatever the thing is called) stayed yellow colored, the first one was capable of changing all it's body.

I have better images of the second one, but tried to pick one with the eyes sticking up like the first had.

You can see that here:

octo_500.JPG

This is from two weeks ago, and this one is about 3 inches long:

Octo01.JPG

I have a blurry image of it moving away, and it is not even capable of the extended eye thing.

So, experts in all things slimy, what do I have here?

Not getting a huge number of responses... what a surprise.

My guess is that the bottom one is a very, very young common that has a lot of growing to do.

The top should be a pygmy or the other one that looks like a pygmy, but isn't and the middle one is any one's guess, but most likely a species that has not been id'ed.

But those are just guesses.

The first one is a common octopus, the second looks like the Caribbean two-spot octopus, and the third actually looks like a pygmy octopus. Im not an expert, but Im pretty sure that's what they are

Interesting.

Two-spot does have a rougher exterior, but from the images I can find, nothing on the level of this guy. It is also missing the spots. I got about 15 images, with it changing colors a couple of times and there is no spot of any kind.

Here is similar octo from last year... again about 4 inches in size:

Octo25.JPG

I should point out that these were both taken in about 80 ft of water, around 10 miles off shore.

The little tiny short arms on that last one bother you at all? At that size, it should be an adult, with very long arms.

Back
Top Bottom