OctoPi mods and lighting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could combine the 3 connection points to one connector with standard spacing.
In schema that would be CONN_01x03 with footpring Pin_Header_Straight_1x03.
I thought about it, but it would really get in the way and I liked the look of the triangle. :D Things are a little close in there, but not overly so. Thanks for pushing me on the transistor. That's an awesome mod and I thank you for it.

It's alive!

full?d=1574376155.png

My LightRing's final assembly has been delayed a few weeks. Hand soldering SMDs was a bit challenging at first. The fine point on my TS100 apparently was too fine. I changed to a much wider tip and it worked great. I have a couple of issues here. I didn't size the plated holes correctly. I guess I could just drill the right size and make sure the solder hits the correct side. As it is, I just surface soldered them for the time being. The second issue was the size. It's much, much larger than I thought it would be. I should have drawn a circle or two. I took an hour and redesigned it so that the whole light would almost fit inside the aperture of this one.

BTW, I added an all metal hotend and kind of screwed it up. I have to fix things so I can print the holder and finish my LightRing project.

First of: Great work! :) Looks great.

Hand soldering SMDs was a bit challenging at first. The fine point on my TS100 apparently was too fine. I changed to a much wider tip and it worked great.
Many people starting with smd soldering fall into the trap "the finer the tip the better", but in the end the tip isn't large enough to transfer enough heat.

I have a couple of issues here. I didn't size the plated holes correctly.
Which plated holes? The cable connection points?

The second issue was the size. It's much, much larger than I thought it would be. I should have drawn a circle or two.
A good thing todo before sending a pcb out to the fab is to print it 1:1, so you can check the size and if all your components fit correctly.

BTW: Did you test if the mosfet works like intended? :)

BTW: Did you test if the mosfet works like intended? :)
Yep, the MOSFET works perfectly. It stays off until I connect the signal to the positive terminal.It's designed to work with 1 to 6 V, I believe. I'll be sending it 3V from the OctoPi.

Which plated holes? The cable connection points?
Exactly, I just surfaced soldered the cables to the back and it all works.

I know this is an old thread, but the new (came out a year ago) Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W handles OctoPi in a very small package. I got one last November from MicroCenter for $15 and replaced my Pi 3 Model B+.

Anyone looking to use any Raspberry Pi's for any project I highly recommend a Class 10, U3, V30, A1 micro sd card. These have the speed needed to handle operations. They are anywhere from $15 to $25. I originally used a Class 10, U1, and had lackluster performance. Upgraded and now it flies.

I know this is an old thread, but the new (came out a year ago) Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W handles OctoPi in a very small package. I got one last November from MicroCenter for $15 and replaced my Pi 3 Model B+.

Anyone looking to use any Raspberry Pi's for any project I highly recommend a Class 10, U3, V30, A1 micro sd card. These have the speed needed to handle operations. They are anywhere from $15 to $25. I originally used a Class 10, U1, and had lackluster performance. Upgraded and now it flies.

Any advantage over the B+? Besides size?

Any advantage over the B+? Besides size?
Price for one. you can get them for $15. Number two, the B+ is overkill for running OctoPi. The Zero W 2 is perfect size and power.

I switched so I could use my B+ for another project (media center). There is a shortage of Pi 3's and 4's and the price is outrageous if you can find one, so the Zero W 2 filled the need for my printer at a really good price.

The process are outrageous! No lag with zero then?

No lag! Make sure you are running a Class 10, U3, V30, A1 micro sd card. That makes a huge difference.

When I first set up my Pi 3B+ I noticed some camera lag, stuttering and timeouts. Once I switched to the better card it cured that. The camera resolution is better too. The right card makes all the difference. I learned that one fast. When I switched to the Pi Zero 2 W, I got the better card right off the bat.

If you are looking to buy a Zero 2W, retailers are price gouging them on Amazon and Ebay. You can get them through Raspberry Pi's official retailers for $15.

Note: the Pi Zero 2 W is the only Zero model that has a 1GHz, quad core, 64 bit processor, which is needed to run Octopi. The other Zero models have single core 1GHz processors and not compatible with Octopi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom