October Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire5man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I wrote early about "Going to the Bahamas for our Honeymoon" and I think we have the dive course thing all figured out. I am headed to the Sandals resort. I geography and knowledge of the islands in that area are very sad. All I know is two planes from the Baltimore/DC area to get there, and after my last plane trip I said I would never get on another plane ever.:shelli:(this will be before the flight). Anyways I am not even sure where the resort is. They say they have Scuba diving and many other water sports but they done have any information on the Scuba diving. Can anyone fill me in? What are there dive like? Are they safe? Fun? worth it? What else should we plan to do while we are there?

Thanks for the Help!

Your question's a little open ended. As far as the course goes, i can't really comment. I've seen Sandals boats out all the time, outside of a friendly rivalry between Stuart Coves and their staff they seem very together. their boats look nice and neat/ clean. I've never heard a bad word said about'em. Round here that's about as higher aclaim in itself as a recomendation!
Best bet is, if you're now booked into the course, do it. After, go for a couple of dives with Coves or Bahama Divers and then you can tell us who you favour!
I'd like to hear about it.
You'll be staying on Cable Beach on the North Coast, 15 mins from the airport. Try eating at Indigo's just accross the road from Sandals for Sushi. Orange hill just three miles West for a stunning evening view as you eat, Velagios, in Caves village just two miles west for excellent Italian ($), or The Cricket Club (Chris's wife's Chicken Pot Pie redeems Genisi's the waitresses blunt approach to customer service!!) two miles or so East. Other places include Cafe Matisse ($) in town, Lucianos for another stunning view across the harbour, Grey Cliffs for five star fare ($).
Don't eat anywhere that's not recommended, you won't "get lucky" you will get upset! Promise!
Don't eat fish unless it's from one of the better places. Not just mercury from baracuda and jacks. There's a tendancy to sell rock fish as grouper and pick up nasty toxins that CANNOT be treated. (is it ciguatera?)
Sandals seems to have lots of little sail craft and sea kayaks etc. it's a very sheltered stretch of the north coast due to "Sandals" cay a little island about a mile off the coast. There are plenty of motor sports to annoy the snorkelers and swimmers, jet skiis, water skiing, parasending etc. I don't believe these are hotel owned.
The plethora of other possibilities will be placed in you face upon landing at the airport! Dolphin encounters, water park, island adventures etc.
The beauty of the Bahamas is that you don't have to plan a thing. The curse is that you can't anyway! Try to stay relaxed and "Live long, Take your time...." as they say here.
Like a roller coaster moving through treacle. It ain't going to happen quick but you are locked in for the ride. Drink a couple of cold Kalik, mabe some rum punch and kick back, you'll have a great time!
Let us know how you go? I reckon you'll have a fantastic time!
Dan
Oh! Congratulations!

I haven't been to the Sandals in Nassau; however, I have been to Sandals Negril, Jamaica, and I can tell you that, assuming that the Nassau Sandals is anything like the ones in Jamaica, you don't need to go off property for any kind of food! They have better food than on a cruise and it is all part of the All Inclusive price (no extra cost, no tipping, no hassel ;-).

Next time, try the Negril Sandals, though.

We may want to look around the island for a bit and take in some of the attractions but we will most likely only eat at the resort.

Fire5man,

There is a linen shop not far from the straw market and the aquarium at Atlantis is well worth the trip (and the $35 per person).

One interesting aspect of the dives we did was that there are now Lion Fish in the Bahamas. Apparently, they have either been released into the wild by people who had them in aquariums or have been inadvertantly brought in by ships in their ballast water (or both). Anyway, they are exotics in the Bahamas and are apparently beginning to cause some issues.

You should also think about the Pirate Museum. It's not terribly elaborate but it is interesting.

I have never been on a trip like this before. Besides my issues with the flights (not a happy flyer) is there anything I should remember to bring and have with my?

First and foremost, you and your bride MUST have a US Passport issued IN THE SAME NAME AS YOUR TICKET RESERVATIONS! MyWife's best friend's (idiot) husband made our reservations and thought he would be cute by making them in our married names . . . however, my wife's passport was issued a couple of months earlier in her maiden name. We had to get a copy of our marriage license faxed to us in order to border the plane coming home from our honeymoon.

Second, you each need to have at least two photocopies of your passport page with you name and phto on it. Put one in your carry on and one in your checked bag. (If you want to be really safe, get 4 copies and put the other 2 in your bride's carry on and chacked bag and do the same for her's.)

Make sure you have your C-Card with you (otherwise you get to do a "resort course" ;-).

IMHO, there are not a lot of sites to see in Nassau; however, you and your bride will undoubtedly want to see the shopping area and a good restaurant there is Skan. The have good Grouper-burgers. ;-)

If I thnk of anything else, I'll add another post.

I was just reading information about making copies in a bill from my credit card co. Thats good advice. I would have never though it to be such a problem. This will be my first out of the county travel. I got my passport a few months ago. It only took 7days and that was with a regular payment not express. Everyone said it would take months but I guess I got lucky.

Can you drink that water in this country or should I stay away from that?

Back
Top Bottom