Oct. 29, 2010 Helijet pad wreck (Victoria Harbour) photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mosaic turned out very well - nice!

The mosaic turned out very well - nice!

I actually took photos of the whole wreck to try and stitch together, but it's hard to swim in a straight line while looking through a viewfinder. As I swam along, I was getting closer and closer to the wreck until, when I reached the prop, the photos were almost close-ups of kelp. Only the photos from the first 1/3rd of the wreck worked.

Very cool Mark. Do you know what that wreck used to be?

I still haven't been able to find out. Erin (the owner of the Ogden Point Dive Shop) says a group of them used to dive it years ago, until the Man cracked down. He says it was a tug, which makes sense. I e-mailed the Reciever of Wreck to find out the identity of the wreck (since it's marked on the chart, I figured someone knows about it). The only info they have is a list of a few wrecks in the Victoria area. This list comes from the "Nothern Shipwrecks Database" which is a list of wrecks put out by a company in Nova Scotia (they have a website). I found this a bit surprising, since I thought the government would have their own list. The coordinates listed are very general and could be anywhere from MacCaulay Point to Brotchie Ledge to the Gorge. None of the wrecks listed seemed to match this one.

Mark do you have this book by Fred Rogers?

Picture2003-5.jpg

In it there is a chart of wrecks that I will look at if not. I'll have to do my homework first though (weird thing for a 46 year old guy to say).

Picture2004-12.jpg

I have that book and chart. The only wrecks it shows in that area are the Nahleen and I think another steamer that caught fire and sank on the same day in the 1800's. In the newspaper report back then it says that they sank in another part of the harbour and they were raised.

Whew! I was trying to make sense of the chart and text references but I don't know the Victoria region enough to tell where many of those areas are. Very interesting text though and quite eye opening as to the number of wrecks there are about.
Wonder if Fred Rogers is still around; anyone know? I tried googling him but all I get are references to his History of British Columbia Hardhat Divers book (which I think I will buy).

Whew! I was trying to make sense of the chart and text references but I don't know the Victoria region enough to tell where many of those areas are. Very interesting text though and quite eye opening as to the number of wrecks there are about.
Wonder if Fred Rogers is still around; anyone know? I tried googling him but all I get are references to his History of British Columbia Hardhat Divers book (which I think I will buy).

I tried Googling ( I can't believe that's a word) him too, but most references are to Fred "Mr." Rogers of cardigan fame.
I have the historic divers book (autographed even) and it's definitely worth having in your bookshelf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom