Ocotal anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to be there March 21st. Any suggestions on dive operators or good sites? :D

I went with the on site operator. They're pretty good, and they'll take good care of you.

I was kind of disappointed in that all 4 dives (2 Saturday and 2 Sunday) were "green water" dives. The 2 sites on Sunday were pretty good, "Punta Gorda" and "Shark Place" (no sharks present when I was there).

Water temp on Saturday was 70 degrees, but it warmed up to about 78 on Sunday...yes, it changes that fast. The locals told me that the best time to dive was in the rainy season which starts around May 1, so I guess you'll be doing the green water thing as well.

If you're staying at Ocotal, watch for the monkeys which hang around the trees between the rooms and the sandy part of the beach.

Have a great time, and enjoy the scenery between San Jose and Ocotal!

Thanks Hoover!
Do you nave any suggestions on what to do topside or where to eat? I am trying to decide if I should rent a car, should I or shouldn't I? :confused:

I was only at Ocotal for 1 weekend, so we didn't get out to eat. The nearest town is Liberia, and it's kind of a hike to get there. The food at the resort is just OK, but there's a restaurant on the beach that used to be owned by the resort, and still has an agreement that allows you to charge meals to your room. It's got atmosphere and decent food.

As far as car rental goes, if you're only going to be there for a weekend, don't bother. However, if you're going to be there for a week or so, you might want to rent a car to see some of the other tourist sites (Arenal volcano, Tabacon resort, white water rafting, rain forest tours, etc.). It will help if you speak spanish, and even at that, you'll be taking a real adventure. I wouldn't keep the car for the entire week, as car rentals tend to be quite expensive (I believe it has to do with the import taxes they put on new vehicles - it effectively doubles the price of the car). Alternatively, I expect the resort can set you up with a tour group that will take you to these places.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Hoover!

I'll be there for a week so I think I'll probably go ahead and rent a car. My wife is fluent in Spanish and I am OK so we're looking forward to the adventure.

Thanks Again,
Greg Stone
:D

Hoover -

Did you go to Bat or Catalina Islands? My wife and I will be at Ocotol for a week very soon. Do you have any more recommendations to make our trip a great one?

Thank you Hoover!

I wasn't able to take their day trip to either Bat or Catalina Islands, but I've heard nothing but good things about both destinations.

If I were going to suggest the perfect Costa Rica Vacation, I'd start with spending a day or two in San Jose. There's a lot of historical stuff in this city.

I'd then go to the northwest coast (where Ocotal is) for a few days, then travel down towards the southwest coast (more pristine and much less populated. I'd go to the SW via San Jose, and on the way, take a few days to stop at Arenal and the Tabacon Resort, take the 4-in-1 tour out of San Jose (Poas Volcano, Rain Forest, Waterfalls and boat trip down the Sarapiqui River - probably get to visit a coffee plantation during the trip).

I'd avoid things like the "Canopy Tours" and "Whitewater Rafting", not because they're not fun, but because these things can be done elsewhere, and it's not what Costa Rica is know for.

I really hope you enjoy your trip!

p.s. There's a little known butterfly farm almost right in the middle of San Jose. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place, but for $6, you get admission to see the butterflys (really beautiful) and a nice hot lunch in a small cafe setting.

I was there a couple of years ago. Bad vis but lot's of mantas. The shoreline from the boat is pure "Jurassic Park."

Jason

Back
Top Bottom