OceanLog/Windows 7 64bit Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdamL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got an Atom 2.0, and I installed the drivers and OceanLog Beta from the website. I have Windows 7, 64 bit version.

The program starts fine. But when I try to download info from the PDC, it will not work. If it's the first time I've connected the interface cable to the computer since restarting, I will get a runtime error (error is down below) and the program will shut down. If I have disconnected and reconnected the interface cable it will be assigned the next VCP number. Each time I unplug the cable and plug it back in, it gets the next VCP number. When I try to download the dive data, the window will only show "USB Interface NOT FOUND".

I tried calling technical support, and I spent about an hour and a half trying to get this resolved. I have uninstalled & installed the drivers & program multiple times. About the only thing I haven't tried is sprinkling the blood of a virgin goat on the computer. It looks like the problem is in the Windows 7 64 bit drivers. The problem appears to be identical to the one listed in this post: (I can't post a URL to a post in Scubaoard...sheesh. Search for "oceanlog incorrect com port")

I have also installed this program on a Windows Vista 32 bit machine, and it works fine, so it's not the cable. Also, on the Vista machine, if I unplug the cable and plug it back in, it always remains VCP0.

Is there anything that I can do to get this running on my Windows 7 machine? :confused:

NOTE - The Runtime error is "-2147418113 (8000ffff)': ie_NOpen - device not open. It only appears the first time I connect the cable and try downloading data. If I unplug the cable and plug it in, then it only says "USB Interface NOT FOUND".

Try rebooting the computer then plugging the adapter into a different USB port on your computer. If the adapter is found and downloads properly you should be able to switch back to the original USB port next time you use the software.

Been there, done that. After I reboot and plug the cable in, I'll run the program and get the runtime error. Every time, regardless of which of the USB ports (I have 4) I plug in to. Then after that, it goes back to the "USB Interface NOT FOUND" problem.

Yup. The download is x64_USBdriver. The download size is 1.13 MB, not 664 kb. Besides that, you can't install the wrong driver--during installation it will give an error that you must install the 64 bit drivers. Yup, I've even tried installing the 32 bit drivers to see it could possibly work, after I had tried the 64 bit drivers multiple times.

From the Windows 7 control panel programs and features module. Click on Oceanlog and at the top of the programs list it will give you the Uninstall, Change and Repair Options. Run the repair.

Well now we are at the point of either your have other hardware/software on your system interfering with Oceanlog or the Adapter driver or maybe needing an updated BIOS for your system.

To test hardware/software conflict you can disconnect all extra hardware from the computer and use msconfig.exe to disable all the startup items. reboot without the startup items enabled and try Oceanlog again. If it works then you do have a conflict and you can enable the startup items one at a time to figure out which item or items conflict.

Otherwise I would look towards the computers manufacturer for a Driver update related to the USB ports or a BIOS update.

Try uninstalling the "OceanLog Beta " Version you installed. Make sure you remove all files/Folders from your computer. If you have a log saved then copy or move it into a difffernt location. Then download the the Regular Oceanlog not the Beta version.

Oceanic Worldwide - Owner Services - Software

Ran the repair, no difference.

AdamL, I would check to see if the driver is intall Ok and that there are no issues there first.

Right click Computer and choose Manage.
Once window is oen Left click Device Manager in the left box.
In the middle box Left click on the arrows next to Universal Serial Bus controllers and Ports (COM & LPT) to expand the sub lists.

When you plug in your Download Cable two new devices should appear.

Under Ports (COM & LPT) you should have 2002 Desighn, Inc. Download Interface (COM3).
The COM number may differ.

Under Universal Serial Bus controllers you should have 2002 Desighn, Inc. Download Interface

If you don't have the above and have any devices flaged with red or yellow symbles then you may have the wrong drivers installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom