OceanLog v. 2.2.2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I register the 1st complaint. I like the fact that I can save my tanks, so I don't have to re-enter them every time. But it didn't save the tank details from all the existing dives, so I lost all my SAC rates. I have 3 different size tanks, so now I have to go through and figure out what I used on each of the 95 dives in the log if I want to review my past SAC rates. What a PITA.

Hi Doug

You guys may have posted a new version but is still full of bugs. There is a problem with the Gear section. When you change the equipment you have used, exposure suit, BCD etc it doesn't save it. Also it always puts value in the weight belt part. I don't use a weight belt so it is a litle annoying. However, the location side of it looks like it has been fixed. I have gone back to 2.2.0 :(

I also am have found this version to be unstable. Modifications to the fields for gear do not hold after saving and moving on to edit buddy info or other dives. When checking the field later the info has changed.
I have again had to return to version 2.2.0 and use a backup of my log.

I would much prefer Oceanic to say,"We're still trying to remedy the software bugs" than to release revisions which don't work.

As I asked in another thread, do any of the developers take an actual PDC with actual dives in it and load them into the new software revision, test the revision and analyze the performance before the revision is realeased?

I really have a hard time believing that this is being done.

the K

Doug,
I have to echo the comments above. I struggled with the gear section and lost all of my setup info from my previous dives. When I tried to set up some typical gear profiles, it would act strangely and not save the right info from dive to dive.
I am concerned that this is being released as a production version when it took about 2 minutes for me to find major issues that cause me to go back to the previous version.
The new tank part is good, but as stated before, if you end up losing your tank info from previous dives, it is not a worthwhile upgrade and some note should be made to warn folks.
The biggest issue with losing the gear info is that I could not go back and check what weight configuration I used with each gear configuration(drysuit with 100cf steel vs 3mm with alum 80, vs shorts with 80 alum, etc)
thanks

At this point let add a suggestion. If Oceanic cannot or does not have skilled programmers capable of ironing out theses bugs in short order and releasing a software package that can meet the needs of it's users, then maybe it is time for Oceanic to take a different approach to solving the problem.
I can think of at least a couple of ways to do this:

1) Put together a software development kit and release the source code to the public. I'm willing to bet there are a few customers that are skilled programmers that can help the situation.

2) Contact the authors of Scubase and have them work with you to develope a new program using Oceanlog and their program to create a special OEM version that works.

Consider what you'll need to pay as an investment in retaining and capturing customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom