Oceanlog on a Mac w/Parallels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thiad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone else tried running Oceanlog on either Windows Vista or 7 on a Mac running Parallels 6.0 (say that really fast)?

On Vista, I used version 2.2.7. While I can get Oceanlog to work and recognize the USB connection to the unit, I will often get runtime errors or problems connecting to the Pro Plus computer. The program tends to run the CPU to 100% or more and won't shut down without killing it in task manager. Downloads have to be done in the *exact* order or you'll never see the computer from the Oceanlog interface.

On Windows 7 running the beta 2.2.8 version, I'm fighting the battle of the interface never seeing the dive computer. I loaded the USB drivers before attaching the cable and the drivers are present. Yet when I launch READ FROM PDC, Oceanlog minimizes, but I never get a download window. The program then hangs and again, you kill it with task manager. I've given Windows 7 and Vista both something like 4GB of memory and it's chewing through all of it on both platforms.

Any ideas (aside from using a PeeCee) or anything else I can try? I really love the software but I'd like it to be a bit more stable.

I haven't dealt with Parallels and I don't know what the problem facing you is.

I use an early '08 2.8 GHz Penryn MacPro running VMWare Fusion 2.0.5 and Oceanlog 2.whatever with an Oceanic VT3 & VT Pro. It generally works pretty well, although I learned the data cables for the 2 are slightly different and not interchangeable. My MacPro's been upgraded to a full 10 gigabytes of RAM, if that matters.

Richard.

I may try VMware Fusion. Parallels running 7 seems like it's running fine (except OceanLog gacking), but it can be real doggy with Vista or XP. I'll beat on it further if I have the time. For now it's trial and error.

I just got done downloading a new updated beta version. It is dated 2/22/11, newer than your question by a couple days. I haven't tried installing in under Parallels to see if it will run on my MacBook Pro yet, but it seems stable on my PCs.
Gary

I run OceanLog on my MacBook Pro under parallels all the time. I use Windows XP tho, not Windows 7. Pretty much all I use Windows for now is Visio and OceanLog ... I find I don't need the Windows 7 features.

Cheers,
Mike

I have, and hate it. Running Windows just plain sucks no matter what VR, processor, version you have. Finally just shelled out for MacDive. Who really cares about a computer to dive-computer interface? I don't, but the Oceanic software (love the computer, but will not buy another for them if they will not update this dinosaur) has gotten me hooked on looking at dive profiles.

I am having the exact same problem: Parallels 6 + Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit), running in 32 bit Snow Leopard, + Current Version (2.2.8) of Oceanlog. Oceanlog works fine until I try to add dives with the PDC. When I do, the program minimizes (ostensibly to give me the download interface) but then the entire VM crashes.

Anyone? TIA.

Hi acrofrag.... THANKYOU for the tip about MAC DIVE!! It is awesome... I can't believe how easy that was to install, link dive computers to and download info! I too had all the same problems and spent hours trying to get oceanlog to work with parallels on my imac... but couldn't get it to reliably work. Even on my PC with Win 7 it would download drivers but just not recognise the computer... and half the links on the oceanic website don't actually work or go to no where... anyhow I am glad you posted here and suggested mac dive... the best money i have spent in this - given you have to fork out for parallels anyhow! And if you don't buy oceanic next time it won't matter as the mac-dive.com website makes it easy to download different brand USB drivers... Anyhow Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom