Oceanic VT Pro 3 Failure @ depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:
I was diving with my Oceanic VT PRO 3 and ran into a problem wondering if this has happened to anyone else. At around 50 feet I started to get some errors like High PO2 and Too DEEP. I was diving 32% nittrox . Water temp 82. Checking my other Oceanic Computer (VT PRO) and I had a depth of 50 feet; this is my back up computer which I carry on as well on the dive.

On the surface I opened the computer (VT PRO 3.1). No sign of water intrusion. Inserting new battery and I was getting all sort of erroneus messages. 18 hours later the display went dead and since then, I have not been able to get to computer to turn on at all.

I think the computer is toast. It has about 50 dives on it. I am curious to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and if so what they did with it? And how about oceanic customer service and tech support.

Thank you for your insights.

Since you did say, Try page 13 of your manual. Being on for that amount of time may have killed the battery.

Since you did say, Try page 13 of your manual. Being on for that amount of time may have killed the battery.

Well, it went to Oceanic for the $160 refurbishing. I believe the circuit board is bad.

Well, it went to Oceanic for the $160 refurbishing. I believe the circuit board is bad.

Pay refurbishing fee after only 50 dives on a computer. Ouch.
I've been told to stay away from Oceanic computers. Maybe this is why?

I appreciate your comment Water Boy76. I do not think though that this is common occurence. I have a 20 year old Oceanic Data trans plus fully functional plus a VT Pro which I use as a back up. They have hundreds of dives on them. Hopefully this is a fluke but I loose in having to pay for repairs.

I want to like Oceanic Computers because I think they have some nice one's.
But I have friends that have had trouble with thier Atom's and Prop Plus. The Atom's work they just are quirky. The Pro Plus flooded.
I dive a Hollis which is an Oceanic computer and its been great, no trouble. But I've only owned for a year.

I want to like Oceanic Computers because I think they have some nice one's.
But I have friends that have had trouble with thier Atom's and Prop Plus. The Atom's work they just are quirky. The Pro Plus flooded.
I dive a Hollis which is an Oceanic computer and its been great, no trouble. But I've only owned for a year.

I understand and appreciate the comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom