Oceanic vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason417

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to buy all my equipment soon. I am not concerned about the money too much, but I am only looking at these two brands.

Oceanic: Probe LX bcd, Delta 4 reg, Pro Plus 2 computer.

Aqualung: Seaquest ProQD bcd, Legend LX ACD reg, Suunto Cobra computer.

Where I live in the Tampabay Area there are several LDS that sell both. So thats not a factor in gettings things serviced. I understand the full MSRP that Aqualung sells at, I dont care for it but its the quality I want. Besides, I have priced everything I want and it comes out to be $275.00 difference in total pricing, so thats not a factor either. I appreciate any feed back

I'm an Oceanic tech and therefore biased but can see no issue with either setup. Both are easily serviced in alot of locations, The proplus does have a big screen and is very easy to read and use though I've had no experience with the Cobra. As far as quality I'd consider them equal with Oceanic's service and customer support second to none. I have issues with AL's pricing policy and the way they treat their dealers though. I also prefer wrist mount computers and guages. And as far as I know what a dealer sells to you for may not necessarily be full MSRP. They are not allowed to advertise lower but if they say they can't cut you a break I'd question that and go for the Oceanic just on principle. Also Oceanic has MSRP, MAP( minimum advertised price), and what you will actually pay for it. Price the Oceanic out on Scubatoys website. They are an authorized dealer and see if your LDS will meet or at least come close.

Personally I'd prefer the Seaquest BCD and go for the Oceanic Reg and computer.
Actually I have the Delta 4 FDX10 and Oceanic's VT3 and Atom 2.0 computers.
Either way you end up with a nice kit.

Thanks Jim & Ra, For your comments. I see you guys like the Oceanic gear better. The only thing is that there is this one LDS I like but they sell only AL products and I am afraid if I buy Oceanic and them come into the store for airfills or take more Padi classes from them, that they will kinda look down on me. I just like to keep the peace and I know they need to make a buck and if they do give me a hard time then I will tell them seeya!

Thanks Jim & Ra, For your comments. I see you guys like the Oceanic gear better. The only thing is that there is this one LDS I like but they sell only AL products and I am afraid if I buy Oceanic and them come into the store for airfills or take more Padi classes from them, that they will kinda look down on me. I just like to keep the peace and I know they need to make a buck and if they do give me a hard time then I will tell them seeya!

Get the BCD form them, as Seaquest is a good bcd. Then get the oceanic reg and computer. You give them some business. They will either understand that you wanted gear that they do not sell, or they are really not worth your time.

I agree with shoturtle. If they aren't happy with making the sale on the BCD then they don't deserve any of your business.

WOW! I was looking at these exact two set-ups before I settled on my gear. It is uncanny. The exact same specs.

I ended up going with the Aqualung set. Partly because I am a DMT at the Aquanaut shop so the gear does fit in with the store. The other reason is that the Aquanaut gear seemed of higher quality to me at the time. Now I realise they are both very good sets and I actually ended up recommend that my brother get the Oceanic package (and he got it.)

Here is my breakdown.

BCD: I liked the SeaQuest because it fit really well and the integrated weights were easy to remove. The Probe was nice as well, I particularly like the utility pockets.

Regs: The Legend seemed like a higher end reg (I'm not sure how true this is this is just the impression I got) but I did like the swivel on the second stage of the Delta 4.

Computer: I knew that Suunto was a good brand.

If the price doesn't bother you, I would definitely look at getting a hoseless computer.

The ProPlus2 isn't THAT much cheaper than an Atom or VT3 or "D" series Suunto watch.

I know personally, I like to swim with my arms cross in front of me, and with wrist mounted computers I never really have to leave that position. As soon as my wrist mounted compass comes in I will be in way better shape.

I specifically got rid of my Veo 250 for the sole reason that I had to keep unclipping and messing with stuff to look at it. After like 7 dives I was already sick of it, and it was less than a month old after I got certified and bought it brand new.

I have no idea how reliable the transducers are in comparison to hosed computers SPG's, etc, etc, but the simplicity of having the computer and pressure on my wrist was plenty of motivation to ditch the hose.

WOW! I was looking at these exact two set-ups before I settled on my gear. It is uncanny. The exact same specs.

I ended up going with the Aqualung set. Partly because I am a DMT at the Aquanaut shop so the gear does fit in with the store. The other reason is that the Aquanaut gear seemed of higher quality to me at the time. Now I realise they are both very good sets and I actually ended up recommend that my brother get the Oceanic package (and he got it.)

Here is my breakdown.

BCD: I liked the SeaQuest because it fit really well and the integrated weights were easy to remove. The Probe was nice as well, I particularly like the utility pockets.

Regs: The Legend seemed like a higher end reg (I'm not sure how true this is this is just the impression I got) but I did like the swivel on the second stage of the Delta 4.

Computer: I knew that Suunto was a good brand.

Thanks for the support. The only question is the Suunto and I dont know why it is bothering me.....I have been reading alot of posts on here and I am so turned around about Liberal vs. Conservative. I understand the Suunto is a great product, I just want to be a rec. diver in the tropics and still be able to do multiple dives in a day...hmmm, I just dont know

If the price doesn't bother you, I would definitely look at getting a hoseless computer.

The ProPlus2 isn't THAT much cheaper than an Atom or VT3 or "D" series Suunto watch.

I know personally, I like to swim with my arms cross in front of me, and with wrist mounted computers I never really have to leave that position. As soon as my wrist mounted compass comes in I will be in way better shape.

I specifically got rid of my Veo 250 for the sole reason that I had to keep unclipping and messing with stuff to look at it. After like 7 dives I was already sick of it, and it was less than a month old after I got certified and bought it brand new.

I have no idea how reliable the transducers are in comparison to hosed computers SPG's, etc, etc, but the simplicity of having the computer and pressure on my wrist was plenty of motivation to ditch the hose.

Hoseless has been on my mind but not sure. By the way, I will also be buying a setup for my wife as well. So it can get expensive for two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom