Oceanic Versa Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, evidently it's out, as I just purchased it from my LDS today. $169.95 and a *HUGE* headache so far. I installed the software on my Windows NT 4.0 machine, and it replaced a bunch or Microsoft MFC DLLs. To make a long story short, I'm in the process of completely reinstalling NT right now. I plan to give Oceanic a call on Monday to see what the deal is.

The CD contains versions of the software for all their computers. The Versa Pro software was listed as version 1.0, and claims to support NT.

Looking at the installed program, it appears that it stores its data in an Access database, which is cool since you could make up for any shortcomings in the Oceanic software by simply accessing the same database.

Of course, the package also includes an interface cable that connects the Versa Pro to your PCs serial port.

Anyway, will post an update when/if I figure out what the problem is.

Originally posted by bgonderi
Of course, the package also includes an interface cable that connects the Versa Pro to your PCs serial port.

Anyway, will post an update when/if I figure out what the problem is.

Please do -- I have been thinking of buying a Versa Pro. Is there the same problem with the Atmos 2, which is also made by Pelagic?

Were did you buy the PC Interface? I'm in Southern CA. and can't seem to find a store that has it yet.

-Lance

I bought it from my LDS in Colorado (Flatirons Scuba, http://www.flatironsscuba.com) - looked like it was the only one they had on the rack.

I've been asking about it ever since I bought my computer (around 6 months ago) - they didn't have it until this weekend.

I called Oceanic about the install problem, and the rep. assured me that in the three years he had been working there, I was the only one who he had ever heard of who had problems installing the software. :) I also tried it on a Windows 2000 machine here at work - the install seemed to go OK and the machine doesn't appear to have been corrupted, but the software itself does not run (says it couldn't open the database file). I've sent them a long email of what I'm experiencing and will post more info. when I get it.

I checked on their web site, and they still don't list the Versa Pro version of the download kit, although they do sell the other versions. Wonder if you could order it directly from them (via phone)?

I just got the pc interface, and no luck getting it running on XP. Next step is to try it on Windows 98. If you have any luck with windows 2000 let me know.

-Lance

Well, no good luck with 2000. I tried it on 2000 Server, and it gets an error that it cannot access the database and exits. A friend of mine tried it out on 2000 Workstation and was able to get it up and running. Unfortunately, he said he had a really tough time getting it to recognize his computer. Once he did, he tried downloading his dives, and ended up with corrupted data (dates were bogus (00/38/2008) and it showed he went into decompression when he did not, etc.). All in all, not too impressed yet.

I've sent detailed emails to Oceanic regarding these problems, and they said they've forwarded them to their software engineer, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

One thing that my friend did differently than I was that he let the installation program reboot his machine. I always tell them not to reboot, then do it myself. That shouldn't make a difference, but his installation is the only one that's work that I know of.

Good luck - let me know what you find out.

Didn't have any problems with Win98, but get the "Could not open database" problem with Windows XP. Luckily I installed XP with a dual boot to win98, but I would much rather have access to everything from XP. Let me know how your progress goes with Oceanic.

-Lance

SlurrySeal-
When you say you had no problems on 98, do you just mean with the install? How'd the software itself work? Were you able to download your dive data, and did it look OK?

I had no problems at all installing it on Win98. The program itself seems pretty basic, but as I haven't used any other dive software I have nothing to compare it to.

Once I download the dive info in Win 98, I was able to reboot to XP and open the database and Access (though I couldn't edit it because they used a very old version of Access).

-Lance

Originally posted by SlurrySeal
I had no problems at all installing it on Win98. The program itself seems pretty basic, but as I haven't used any other dive software I have nothing to compare it to.

Once I download the dive info in Win 98, I was able to reboot to XP and open the database and Access (though I couldn't edit it because they used a very old version of Access).

-Lance

Can't your newer version of Access convert the DB from the old version to the new one?

This software has just come out, so I am surprised that they based it on a older version of Access.

I have the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus, and just finished a week of diving in Cozumel with it. Don't have the computer download package yet. So far, I've been just reading the numbers off the log feature on the computer and writing them into my log book.

Back
Top Bottom