Oceanic Veo100 Nx service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyT22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My trusty Veo 100 Nx has suffered a major malfunction. I used it this past weekend, in fresh water, and it functioned fine during the dive. I checked it two days later, expecting it to be powered down as usual, but it was still on with most if not all the display lit up and frozen in place. Pressing the button does nothing. I removed the battery and replaced it with a brand new one, and after initial power up, same issue.

I could take it into the local oceanic shop for service, but in reality what could they really do? The computer is over 4 years old and has over 150 dives on it. Spending any more than 50 bucks to get it serviced seems foolish to me, since a new one sells for less than $150.00.

I guess my question is, are these computers really "servicable" once out of warranty, or should I simply say thanks for the 4 years of good diving and replace it?

I guess my question is, are these computers really "servicable" once out of warranty, or should I simply say thanks for the 4 years of good diving and replace it?

Given how cheap another entry level computer is going to me, I personally would take this route. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a repair estimate from Oceanic but if you can find a new replacement for only 150.00 that seems the headache-free way to go - though I'm not sure where you are finding a Veo 100 NX for 150.00

Oceanic will probably sell you a refurbished model at a greatly discounted price rather than repair yours. That's what happened to me and my Veo250.

Did you call them directly? I'd be happy with that.

CT Sean...I was mistaken. LP has the Veo 100 on sale for 149, but not the Nx. Would still be oK for me, as I could appropriate my wife's Veo 100 Nx, and replace it with the Veo 100...she is strictly a warm water, resort diver with no plans to get a nitrox cert.

I contacted Oceanic directly. They offered to refurbish the unit to "factory new" condition if I send it to them. Cost is 110.00, plus S & H. Fair enough, will do.

Thanks all for your responses.

Rob

I contacted Oceanic directly. They offered to refurbish the unit to "factory new" condition if I send it to them. Cost is 110.00, plus S & H. Fair enough, will do.

Thanks all for your responses.

Rob

This is how they keep you.
I am on my 8th or 9th Oceanic Computer, each time it failed after a couple years through no fault of mine. Each time they offer to "upgrade" you to the latest similar model for $$ and the old computer is trashed. A vicious cycle you can either play along or move on to another brand.

So many similar stories here on this board.

This is how they keep you.
I am on my 8th or 9th Oceanic Computer, each time it failed after a couple years through no fault of mine. Each time they offer to "upgrade" you to the latest similar model for $$ and the old computer is trashed. A vicious cycle you can either play along or move on to another brand.

So many similar stories here on this board.

I'll withhold judgment until I get the computer back, but I'm not sure I have a problem with it. If I get 120 dives before I need service again (which for me regettably will take a few years) it still works out to a dollar a dive for "maintenence". I'm OK with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom