Oceanic Veo 180 nx Button failed: suggestions for repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I went diving with my Oceanic Veo 180 nx wrist mount computer which I've owned for 5 years now and about 150 dives. It's been a solid computer for me during that time. Unfortunately, after the first dive, I found that it was constantly cycling through the settings, which is what it does if you hold the button down. I took it out of the wrist boot and the button came out of the computer. There was a spring and a tiny o-ring on the metal rod attached to the button, and another tiny o-ring still in the computer.

I didn't dive with the computer for the second dive (they were 30' dives in a local quarry). At the end of the day it was still cycling, but by the next morning the cycling had stopped. I put the button back in the computer and it worked properly.

My guess is that water seeped past the o-rings and caused the computer to act like the button was held down, and when the water dried out it started working correctly.

My question is this: is there anything I can do about this? Obviously, I can stick the button back in it, but I assume it will leak. Is there a way to repair this? Can I replace the o-rings and dive it again? Or does this require factory service?

Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to give me. I have actually been pretty happy with this computer, and would like to keep using it. Oceanic's website says that they'll "service" it (really, trade it in on a reconditioned one) for $110, but that's most of what I paid for it new... 5 years and 150 dives isn't the life of a dive computer, is it? :) Most of those dives aren't even nitrox, so I haven't even had to abuse the button on this thing too often! :) (With one button, you have to press the button a zillion times to change from, say, EAN 36 to 32...)

The Oceanic service is going to be your best option. $110 for a new (reconditioned) unit after 5 years seems pretty reasonable. Another option if you were thinking about upgrading is their trade in program, your 5 year old computer will get you 20% off a new unit.

same thing happened to me .i did the oceanic service with great customer service...they give a year on the replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom