Oceanic Regulator from 1988

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I trained as a research diver in college and got a basic regulator for that work.
It has been sitting in my closet for the past 10 years unused.
Starting now to do much more diving, and trying to figure out whether this is usable or antique decoration or junk at this time. At the time this felt like the most valuable thing I had ever owned so I have kept it with me all of these years.
Any thoughts / input? Of course safety most important and some trips are to far off places (like to Raja Ampat this Dec/Jan).
Not much info at this point on just below. Thank you.

On black tubing: "oceanic - 250 PSI pressure tested - ce 0120 EN250 00
CL 030701
P/G SER NO: 277592
MOUTHPIECE: 20110525
Only thing on reg is 3000 PSI

Attachments

• IMG-0220.jpg
    IMG-0220.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-0219.jpg
    IMG-0219.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-0218.jpg
    IMG-0218.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-0217.jpg
    IMG-0217.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG-0216.jpg
    IMG-0216.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-0215.jpg
    IMG-0215.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-0214.jpg
    IMG-0214.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-0221.jpg
    IMG-0221.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 86
I might be wrong....
....but that looks like a the first stage is maybe a balanced piston Sea Elite from pre-2000, and the second stage (blue) is an Oceanic Alpha 1; same vintage. the octo (yellow) is more recent, also Oceanic, but is really low end.

Your 1998 date in the title sounds about right.

If serviced and tuned, the first stage is probably Ok. The second state is iffy on performance; there is a reason that the Alpha series is now up to 10.....

At that age, a full service would be needed, and probably all new hoses.

I'd be tempted to call it a souvenir and look at something like DGX Custom - DGX Gears D6 Regulator.

I trained as a research diver in college and got a basic regulator for that work.
It has been sitting in my closet for the past 10 years unused.
Starting now to do much more diving, and trying to figure out whether this is usable or antique decoration or junk at this time. At the time this felt like the most valuable thing I had ever owned so I have kept it with me all of these years.
Any thoughts / input? Of course safety most important and some trips are to far off places (like to Raja Ampat this Dec/Jan).
Not much info at this point on just below. Thank you.

On black tubing: "oceanic - 250 PSI pressure tested - ce 0120 EN250 00
CL 030701
P/G SER NO: 277592
MOUTHPIECE: 20110525
Only thing on reg is 3000 PSI
Yes, it's a SP Mk5 Clone from Oceanic, the Pre 1995 Piston 1st, with an ols Alpha I or II 2nd and a Slimline Octo from the late 80ties beginning 90ties.
Very reliable for moderate recreational diving.
Looks like it has been stored in good conditions, so after a thoroughly test and inspection I wouldn't hesitate to dive it in any recreational conditions up to 100' feet......
If you need schematics, PM me.

Oceanic second stages of this vintage are prone to cracking around the inlet.

Being stored out of the sun and not torqued on during use or service has probably saved these. From what I can see in the pics they look ok, but check closely for hairline cracks. Having a second stage crack off during a dive could ruin your day.

Corrosion on the second stage hose fitting indicates it didnt get well rinsed at some point -- definitely get it serviced before diving it.

That first stage can be serviced (unless corroded beyond repair) as it is a Scubapro Mark V clone and is about 99% compatible for parts. It is one of my favorite first stages.

The talent, experience, and generosity of this community never ceases to amaze me! You are all amazing.
When I had this and was doing diving for school / research, I treated it like a new baby. I think it was like $150 used which at the time was a small fortune for younger me from a farm at the end of a dirt road in Kansas.
So I carefully cared for it including rinsing and keeping always in a dark bag to always to store it out of the sun and to never let it touch other equipment (I had good teachers at Hopkins Marine Station). It has not been serviced though in over 15 years. I even covered it in between dives to protect from sun (and still do this with all equipment - I still use my Tabata Tusa Dive Mask from 1988 and it is perfect).
I live in SF and reached out to Bamboo Reef here which is where I originally got it. The reg was 10 years older than the people I spoke with.... so you can imagine the response... I will report back with what they say.

Yes, it's a SP Mk5 Clone from Oceanic, the Pre 1995 Piston 1st, with an ols Alpha I or II 2nd and a Slimline Octo from the late 80ties beginning 90ties.
Looks like it has been stored in good conditions, so after a thoroughly test and inspection I wouldn't hesitate to dive it in any recreational conditions up to 100' feet......
I could use the schematic.

I could use the schematic. I don’t have enough post to DM you. Perhaps you could DM me? Thanks.

I would be wary of the SPG, I had one like that where the face popped off when I opened the tank valve. Mine was in a boot and the boot caught the face so it didn't fly away. It gave me a shock though when I heard the pop.

I could use the schematic. I don’t have enough post to DM you. Perhaps you could DM me? Thanks.

The first stage is for sure the Balanced Piston pre 1995.
From the pictures I can't see if it is a Slimline Octo or Slimline 2 Octo. Seeing the first stage, it is likely a Slimline Octo, but who knows...
The Alpha I & II are essentially the exact same second stage.

The attached stuff may get you started.

Attachments

• Alpha I & Alpha II - Schematics (204).pdf
    50.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Balanced Piston (Before 1995) - Schematics (1995).pdf
    200.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Balanced Piston (Before 1995) - Service Manual (2000).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • Slimline 2 Octo - Service Manual (2005).pdf
    435.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Slimline Octo - Schematics (2004).pdf
    74.5 KB · Views: 25