Oceanic PX-2 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfsails

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a problem and I need help. My shop is not an Oceanic dealer but we're an Aeris dealer, so I probably can't get help from the manufacturer for this problem.

A customer brought in an Oceanic balanced piston first stage that I decided must be a PX-2. I made this determinination with some reservations since this reg did not have the body boot, but it had a shiny chrome body, the LP swivel, and the balanced pistion design. Overall, it looked like it was a PX-2. There are no model markings on the outside of this reg. I opened it up and discovered that it did not have all the parts surrounding the piston stem that were called for in the PX-2 manual, plus, the HP seat was different than the new one in the service kit. The service manual for the PX-2 mentions that certain modifications have been made to the reg during its production run and that new parts can be retrofitted to the old one without compatibility issues.

This reg had an initial IP of 162 psi with 3000# input pressure. When I took it apart there were only two shims, one on each end of the main spring per service manual instructions. When I checked it after service, IP was still 165 psi with a slow drop to about 158 psi. I should add that this reg was nice and clean when presented for service. The book calls for 135-145 psi.

I have access to several sources of Oceanic's manuals and every source lists the PX-2 as the only Oceanic balanced piston regulator.

My questions:
1. Is there a service manual for the older PX-2 that I am unaware of?
2. Is there a schematic for the older PX-2s? The one I have is for the later versions
3. Could it be possible that I have misidentified this reg? If so, what model is it?
4. Any clues on why the IP is so high?

I would appreciate any input anyone has on this. Right now I do not trust what I've done to it, even though I've done it to the best of my ability given the limited factory support. Thanks in advance for your help. This one's got me stumped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom