Oceanic Geo Watch: someone needed to start something

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stewfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok so I have had the geo watch now for a couple months. I had a simple question which I'm sure I will find out today once I'm in the water but others might wonder the same.

If you turn off the "wet activation" must you turn it back on to do a dive or just hit the 5' depth for norm and gauge mode/ I think it's 2' for free diving mode.

Just as a review, because they were few and far between I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I'm i the water free diving or hitting the compressed air all the time for school. The Oceanic Geo is the best watch I have owned. The features are amazing for the price. You are stupid to use a transmitter all by it's self unless you have a backup analog so the price is awesome bc we don't use transmitters (granted we are in the water everyday).

The watch makes getting your information way faster than looking at analogue gauges. The size is not too small; Ive always been confused with the statements that the watch is big "enough" to read it; maybe because I don't have vision problems, but I think it's partly because nobody had the chance to use smaller wrist sized watches until the last couple years when they have become more affordable and manufactures just made huge watches and the retailers made up a reason for the size.....hm I wonder?....

At any rate, the watch is an A+ and it has everything needed including free diving mode which made me put my mares puck in the closet and wear the GEO all day long.

It took about 10 minutes to learn; so I'm a little confused on all the people saying it was hard. There are three options Normal, Gauge, and Free dive modes and the watch can be set to specific detail for those. Otherwise use the factory settings right out of the box e.g. 3min 15ft safety stop, etc.

I probably won't buy a different watch in the future unless another great watch come along. This is based on costs, safety needs of daily water living (no transmitters needed), I don't have to send it in to get a new battery like some of my friends, and believe me you will have to if you like the water! It took 5 minutes to put in a second battery; thus the question above about "wet activation" in regards to saving battery life especially while showering :) which I assume I have the right idea.

The lens guard is awesome - soft rubber-like material that could stop most chips I assume might happen. Small enough to wear daily; no really for my wife though.

The buttons, layout/intuitiveness is easy and after looking at the book for one day I was able to maneuver through the watch to accomplish the changes needed.

cheers

"The features are amazing for the price. You are stupid to use a transmitter all by it's self unless you have a backup analog"

You need to retake you openwater class again and pick up this months Dive Training magazine. I don't think there is a case where some died form the wireless computers not transmitting but there has been several free divers from SWBO. I been using a wireless unit for 12 plus years and have not had a problem with out a backup analog pressure gauge. All pressure gauges can have a problem I have seen analog gauge off by 200-500 psi and I have seen the electronic ones too. The problem is people don't pay attention to their gauges. In the old days they did not have pressure gauges which I donÃÕ recommend. If their is a problem with your guages you acend to the surface before you have a worse problem.

I've had a watch just randomly die before (one minute it was on another it was not) without even showing low battery,and it turned out it was a low battery. Also I've had a friend tell me his battery comes loose from time to time and he has to open it up and shift it over. Wouldn't want that to happen at 105' without a gauge set up to the tank (digital or analogue). So with that in mind you would be checking two different devices for you air left, or paying twice as much as you would need to. SWBOs have nothing to do with this discussion, which was to recommend a watch, not obtain your opinion about setups.

Back
Top Bottom