Oceanic Fin Exact Same Fin as Bio Fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone tell me if there is an Oceanic Fin that is the exact same fin as the Bio Fin? My LDS says there is and showed me one but it didn't look the same to me. I'll look at it again after looking at Bio Pics online.

Vector or V 12(?) if memory serves(?) the same fin?

Thanks, Jim

Apollo Bio Fin
Biofin_Pro_Pair.jpg

Oceanic Vortex V-12
p_fins_v122.jpg

....similar, but not the same

Thanks Tamas,
Yes, that was the fin I was shown. (No name had been mentioned other than Oceanic.)
I'll do a search here and see what opinions/reviews there might be.
If there isn't/aren't other threads comments and reviews are welcome.
I appreciate your taking the time to post the pics.

Jim

Cant speak about the Oceanic but my Apollo Bio Fin are hands down the best fins I have ever used. Best purchase I ever made.

Alex

They are not the same. I much prefer the Apollo... The oceanic are made of different material and don't seem to respond the same. I like most of the oceanic gear... use a ton myself... but my fins are Apollo or Tusa... (depending on the day:wink: )

I'm, in the process of comparing fins now for the shop I work part time at. Right now I use the old aqualung blades,actually have two pairs and if another comes up on ebay I'll get em. But I'll be comparing the V-12's, scubamax turbothrusters, oceanic vectors, two new sherwoods that we are getting in and any others the owner wants me to check out. This is for sales knowledge on my part and personal knowledge as a DM. So far the V's and turbos are not even close. I don't care for the turbos for anything except straight scissor kicking and even then they are not up to the blades or V-12's IMO. I can do anythign in the splits except back finning efficiently. I can frog, modified frog, helicopter, hover, and hold station easily in the pool. OW is alittle different especially if there's a current. So far they do not seem come close in acceleration, thrust or control as the blades. Especially in a drysuit. Ideally I need a few more dives and pool sessions with the various ones before I'll give a definite opinion because some of this may admittedly be biased and based on experience. Alot more with the blades. So to be fair it may be my technique that may need some tuning with in these various fins. Hopefully within the next two or three weeks I'll have a more definite and balanced report and will post it. I was hoping to be done by now but the holidays and a death in the family postponed some of the testing I planned to do.

jim T.:
Can anyone tell me if there is an Oceanic Fin that is the exact same fin as the Bio Fin? My LDS says there is and showed me one but it didn't look the same to me. I'll look at it again after looking at Bio Pics online.

Vector or V 12(?) if memory serves(?) the same fin?

Thanks, Jim

Jim: I've lifted this quote straight off our web site: "Not all split fins are equal. Apollo was the first to visualize and introduce the split fin technology to the diving public. There are now more than a dozen alternative split fins on the market. Look closely before you decide. While some are produced with a plastic rubber compound, the Apollo Bio-Fin series is the only split fin produced with 100% rubber." Try before you buy is an old adage but it does usually serve one well. Best wishes for lots of safe diving.

mdb,
Thanks for your response. Sorry it took me so long to see it.
Big White Square. Thanks also. I've seen and read that site.
Hopefully others who haven't will learn more.

thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom