Oceanic+ Experience/Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

butterwm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We recently updated our Apple Watches to the Ultra 2. One of the deciding factors was functionality for scuba diving. We already own Suunto Vyper dive computers so the mindset going in was hoping the Apple Watch could serve the role as the backup dive computer. Doing our research before hand I was aware of the three main limitations of this setup.

1. The maximum depth is 40m / 130 ft. Even though the Ultra 2 Watch is rated to 100m / 330 ft the depth gauge is only rated to the shallower depth.
2. The dive computer can’t be used for technical diving due to the limited depth gauge functionality.
3. The dive computer doesn’t support integrated air.

To address the three issues above would require a different depth gauge along with an air integration sensor be added to the watch. Therefore it is safe to say that the hopes will be that Apple continues to support the diving functionality of this watch and will eventually make those changes in the Ultra 3 or later series…time will tell. I believe that the Oceanic+ software can be easily upgraded to support these hardware upgrades if/when they happen.

Dive profile wise we don’t do any technical diving and usually don’t go below 100 feet so these limitations weren’t as compromising to us. We just got back from an eight day trip to the Turks & Caicos Islands and managed to get in 11 dives during that time. Dive profiles were two tank dives with the first being 80-90 feet and the second at 50-60 feet with under an hour surface interval. We ran both dive computers at the same time for verification and validation.

We found the display of the Oceanic+ App on the Apple Watch to be much more visually appealing than that of the black and white display of the Suunto computer. The brightness of the screen was a welcome change and the information could be easily read from all angles. The functionality of the depth and temperature gauges were spot on with the Suunto computer. The information on the Oceanic+ was presented much cleaner and a lot more user friendly. Once in the water, the touch screen is locked out and digital crown and action button are the only two functioning buttons. The crown allows you to easily scroll between the three screens of information presented on the Ocenaic+ and the action button is used to start the dive and mark your compass heading. The same information is available in the Suunto computer but requires a lot more effort and button pushing to navigate cumbersome menus. The Ocenaic+ does a good job displaying warning meaaages just like any other computer. It starts by flashing yellow or red on the screen, followed by haptics and eventually audible beeping alerts. The haptic alerts are nice as they bring your attention back to the watch before an audible alert is sounded for everyone in your dive party to hear. Once back at the surface it automatically reverts into surface interval mode for your next dive.

Post dive features are really nice too. The watch automatically logs the dive into the logbook portion of the watch and phone app. It is a very nicely presented logbook layout. There are sections you can add your notes, dive site names, ending pressures, photos, ect. The app also displays the total numbers of dives and total time in the water. It also starts a no-fly count down after your dive to ensure you are safe to fly the next day. It also has several additional planners that include no deco, location planner and a weight planner. All three are very helpful and very easily to navigate.

Overall, we were very pleased with the Oceanic+ App. So much so that the Apple Watch has become our primary computer and the Suunto is now our backup. Even though it is a subscription model the $9.95 for a month of diving is well priced. Once you cancel the subscription your account remains active and you have full access to the logbook. You just renew your subscription the next time you go on a dive trip and you are good to go. I hope this helps anyone that is curious or on the fence with trying it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0716.png
    IMG_0716.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 5
I'm glad you have had a good experience with the Oceanic+ software.

Normally I'm an Apple fanboy: I type this from my Apple MacBook Pro with my Apple Watch 8 (not ultra) on my wrist, and an iPhone 14 Pro Max beside me - ok I'm behind a generation (almost 2), but you get my point.

I've dove with other Apple Watch Ultra owners, and I have the Oceanic+ housing for my iPhone and used it for photos in various places.

I wouldn't use an Apple Watch Ultra (or the Oceanic+ housing with iPhone) for my primary dive computer.
I'm a software engineer: it comes down to purpose of the tools and the matching of hardware goals to software.

It comes down to the developers motto: Good, Fast, Cheap: choose any two.

While the Ultra's not cheap, I would argue that it's not "Good" as a dive computer either as that wasn't the original OS's primary purpose.

Your watch's primary purpose is "general purpose telling time, running a few apps, and making calls/notifications from other devices - but not life support." - it's not a dedicated dive computer. And any integration testing of software/hardware may not account for later updates of the operating system. This is versus a dedicated dive computer where the OS's main function is literally one thing - your dive profile/parameters. That's not to say you won't possibly hit bugs with a dive computer, but the testing matrix is generally reduced when looking at those items.

I've dove with other Ultra owners - and then surfaced with them when "my watch rebooted and I lost my dive info! wow!" - this was not at inception of the Ultra, but earlier this season Summer 2024. As a personal experience the battery on my iPhone Oceanic+ ran low after two(!) dives but I didn't surface because it was not my primary computer.

My point is: maybe don't abandon your Suunto Vyper and keep it on you for backups (or primary). I'm not trying to really be a Negative Nelly (Ok, maybe a little) but just keep an open mind to the concept that maybe you should still consider a dedicated dive computer until you get some more time on that Ultra until it proves itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom