Oceanic excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also dive the Excursion and love it. I was considering the Icon and think it's also a good BC however I've never dove with it. I went with the Excursion because it seemed to be made very well, I can't imagine it ever wearing out. I'm happy with my decision. But to be honest, in retrospect I probably would prefer a Halcyon set-up.

I have the Excursion. I use it while DMing for classes. It's a well made BC. The only thing I wish it had is two tank straps. I dive with a Faber 100 (the REALLY heavy one, -7 lb empty) in my drysuit and the tank tends to shift. By adding an additional strap the tank would be much more stable. Mind you - I've never tried to add another strap so it must not be that annoying.

This is my first BC and was looking into getting a Zeagle Ranger LTD. But the more I use it, the more I get attached to it. Very well made and streamlined, easy to travel with and it's perfect for my needs. I just bought another BC, another Excursion in Large. The XL is a bit too big for me, especially if I dive in warm water without a wet suit. The Ranger is nice, but the weight system on the Excursion is much easier to manage. It could use another pocket though.

I will be trying one on this weekend then the Icon on next week. I have to say right now I am leaning toward the Icon for several reasons. 1: The trim weight pockets are on a top support strap for the tank also helps keep tank stable easy to get to when in the water with gear on.
2: It is lighter and packs smaller than the Excursion( This isnt a big deal because most bcs fit realy good in a gear bag if you just lay them flat and put your regs and stuff in them).
3: It has a right shoulder dump on right shoulder. I will be using a inflator hose octo this will make it easy for controled accent if the octo is in use.

Things that will outweigh the advantages I listed for the Icon. 1: fit and comfort if I notice the excursion fits better. 2: If the ditchable intergrated weights are significantly easyer to put in with bc on. 3: The back of the Icon worries me so if the excursion has a solid back plate that I think will definatly last years longer the the Icon. If the Excursion can do all this over the Icon and it looks like it has a good chance to. I will go with Excursion. These are just some of the reasons that I am in a split decision between the two. Ill tell you guys what I think after I try them both next week.

It could use another pocket though.

Oceanic sells an add-on pocket for the Excursion. My wife and I both have one we fill with survival gear. She likes hers attached to the grommets on the left side. I prefer mine on the tank strap because it only contains stuff I'd need if I surfaced and no boat in sight.

I've only been diving with singles with the Excursion. If we ever graduate to doubles and want to continue with the BC, I'd put the bigger 55lb wing on it instead of the stock 35lb wing. The new wing costs $99.

I have been diving my Excursion for over a year. I am really happy with it. My only disatisfaction was the pocket. It has one pocket and it is a "stow away". I also woudl only need it for items at the surface in an emergency... As pointed out... I can get one.
Great!

I did read an article shortly before using this BC. It was in reference to Back inflatables vs. Jacket style. The article referenced a user that while in the Excursion filled the bladder nearly full at the surface and was being forced face down in the water. Needless to say this would be very uncomfortable. I am glad I read this article. I am not sure I would have made the same mistake or not, but after diving the first couple times in this B.C. I simply add a little more weight to the back pockets. I sit at the surface with complete comfort. If you are switching from Jacket style to the back might be good information.

Back
Top Bottom