oceanic data mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am signed up to do a pool demo of the oceanic hud mask on thursday at 6:30 pm pst. as soon as i get home i will be posting whatever i can about it here.

Did the hud mask pool demo today. it's pretty cool, a very comfortable mask and adjustable to fit pretty much anyone. the display is easily readable, although in my opinion not a true "heads up" display per say. basically, oceanic has taken a dive computer, made it small enough to attach to a mask without looking too klunky, and stuck it in the corner. it cuts into your peripherial vision a bit, especially if you were to try to use anything attached to the right side of your bc close to your chest. the computer does pretty much anyting a rec diver would want, and some stuff you may never use. it's very convenent though, and even in zero vis you will be able to see critical info. Given the price is comperable to a vytec or d6/d9, or a number of other hoseless computers, i'd say it is worth the cost.

The only thing I haven't seen one word about the data mask is will they have a prescription lense version for people like me who needs glasses.

I got to use one on my vacation to Little Cayman. A dive shop owner was there and I got to talking with him, let me do a test dive in real world conditions. My wife and I both have Atom 2.0's so I programmed it to read my pressure Xducer.

I found the dive computer functions very good, like all oceanic computers. It is very close to the Atom, but it only does 1 gas.

However the mask part of it and viewing the screen while diving I found lacking. I could not adjust the mask on my face to see all the lines on the screen. I could not see the bottom line (dive time I think was on the bottom) without pushing on the mask. It also felt like I was diving in a tunnel the whole time. I like to stick my head in coral heads to find macro shots. I do this by going head down and having very good control. I never bump anything, like to have the next guy be able to take pictures also. Well with this mask I found myself bumping things here and there. I also found clearing all the water out of the mask requiered me to tip my head way back. The skirt slopes up from the glass and water collected there. It also just felt very bulky and clunky on my head. After about 30 mintues I switched back to my mask which I had brought with me.

On the surface I found some more quirks I did not think of. Any time you want to check you SIT or want info from your dive computer you need to hold the mask up to your face. Thats a little bit of a pain. Also I have seen people lose masks before, which is not that bad unless you just paid $1500 for it.

My opinion, get an Atom 2.0. You will save $600 and get more features. The Atom 2.0 is great to dive with and all your dive info is always on your wrist. And if you find your self in true ZERO vis just press it up against your mask, you will be able to read it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom