Oceanic Customer Service Gone Downhill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Datamax is a great computer. I dove with one for years. Decided to try wrist-mount so I bought a VT-3 about 2 years ago. Honestly, I can't say I like one style over the other. They both have their advantages. I suppose the VT-3 is a little more convenient on my wrist but that big, clear display on the Datamax is great.

I bought an Oceanic drysuit through an approved dealer about 8 months ago. Since then it has spent more time in transit to the Oceanic distributor or with the distributor than I have had it in my possession to go diving. Leaking valves both inlet and outlet have been the persistent problem. The last time it came back they claimed being unable to find anything wrong with the suit but conceded it was very wet around the exhaust valve?????? They said if it failed to perform properly again they would "sort it out", surely this is why it was sent to them in the first place? When I asked my very embarassed LDS owner what "sort it out" meant he guessed it implied sending the suit to another company to repair. How can this be the case? Not impressed although I realise its more a reflection on the local distributor than the entire brand.
Any comments?

should note for fairness that the Oceanic distributor came to the party re my drysuit and provided a full refund. Took a little bit of crowing but I guess its the final outcome which is important. 1 for Oceanic in my book.

I've ALWAYS had great luck with Oceanic - but your message has me concerned. I am about to call them re: my flooded Atom 2.0. I'll let you know how it works out w/ Oceanic.

I am not certain whether this post is relevant to the thread, and apologize if it isn't. Nevertheless, on the subject of customer service and dive equipment, I had the following experience with Genesis-Scuba. I called to get support for my ReactPro computer, which showed the 24 dives I recently made, but only transferred 4 dives (1, 2, 23, and 24) when I downloaded. I tried it on 3 separate computers, with identical results. I was told by Genesis to take it to a local dealer who would send it in and they would fix it free if under warranty. I neglected (my fault) to ask what happens if it is not under warranty. I dropped it off at a local dive shop (10 miles away). Drove to work and received a call from the LDS informing me that Genesis informed the dive shop that Genesis does not fix out of warranty computers, that they are like consumer electronics, and are considered disposable after 2 years. I drove back, picked up the computer, and am in the process of transferring the data manually. And that is why I am looking at a this thread regarding Oceanic customer service. I am considering the Datamax 2.1 computer.

oceanic makes sherwoods/genesis computer and they do service the computer back to at least 2000.

I sent my flooded ATOM 2.0 to Oceanic and was delighted with their response. Oceanic replaced the guts of my flooded watch (computer/receiver) for a very reasonable cost (considering the price of replacing it) and serviced the wireless transmitter at no charge. They were prompt, helpful, communicative and professional. Oceanic, once again, demonstrates EXCELLENT CUSTOMER service.

Back
Top Bottom