Oceanic compass card off kilter - tricks to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all. Pulled my gear out of storage and noticed my Oceanic compass card has tilted. The card spins fine, its just that depending on your bearing you have to tilt the compass to get the card level in the viewing window. Anyone have any tricks for correcting this? Thanks.

Maybe a stupid question, but did you change hemispheres?

Those compass cards are weighted based on whether it is intended to be used in the Northern or Southern hemisphere. If you use it in the opposite hemisphere from what it was made for, I think it would act as you described.

If that doesn't explain it (or even if it does), it sounds like you probably just need a new compass. The DGX Tech compass is inexpensive, has a nice bungee mount setup, and mine is still working fine after 8 years or so...

Maybe a stupid question, but did you change hemispheres?

Those compass cards are weighted based on whether it is intended to be used in the Northern or Southern hemisphere. If you use it in the opposite hemisphere from what it was made for, I think it would act as you described.

If that doesn't explain it (or even if it does), it sounds like you probably just need a new compass. The DGX Tech compass is inexpensive, has a nice bungee mount setup, and mine is still working fine after 8 years or so...
No change in hemispheres. It’s useable but annoying and will likely be a bit awkward on a dive. Thanks for the DGX suggestion.

Is that a KTM 790 in your profile pic? Nice! I have a 1290 SA :)

Is that a KTM 790 in your profile pic? Nice! I have a 1290 SA :)
Yep.. motorsickles is the other hobby/avocation/disease. These recreations keep me poor. Those 1290’s are awesome… a beast of a bike.

Yep.. motorsickles is the other hobby/avocation/disease. These recreations keep me poor. Those 1290’s are awesome… a beast of a bike.

Yep! LOL! I roadraced 600s and 1000s from 1990 - 2007. That is why I started diving so late in life. I couldn't afford it when I was younger!

No fixing your problems, compass or the bike.
The compass, replace.

I keep getting into "technical" hobbies. The trials motorcycle is a little older than the rebreather.

The compass, replace.

I keep getting into "technical" hobbies. The trials motorcycle is a little older than the rebreather.

I hurt myself on dirt bikes. I would kill myself on a trials bike.

The compass, replace.

There are places here you can go shooting hogs from the air. That could combine two more wery expensive hobbies ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom